Chocoholic cabbie chooses chocolates over camera and cashApril 8th, 2008 - 4:18 pm ICT by admin
Kolkata, April 8 (IANS) He had a digital camera, a flashgun, a pen drive and Rs.20,000 in front of him, but a taxi driver here chose the box of chocolates left by an NRI passenger in his vehicle. Shatrughan Mahato, 30, handed the bag to the police Monday night but apologised for eating up all the chocolates he found in his vehicle.
Britain-based Mandira Maitra took a taxi Sunday from the Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International (NSCBI) airport here but left her bag in the vehicle. She called up the police station immediately and gave the registration number of the taxi. The wheels were set in motion immediately.
Mahato was tracked down at his Metiabruz house late Monday, said Kolkata Police Deputy Commissioner Jawed Shamim.
The bag was there, intact but for the chocolates.
“Before police could ask him anything, Mahato handed over the bag to the cops and started apologising for polishing off the box of chocolates,” Shamim told IANS.
Mahato’s explanation was simple - he had never seen such chocolates in any Kolkata shop and being a chocoholic could just not resist the temptation. But he had no intention of stealing the other valuables, he told the police.
- President arrives in Kolkata - Sep 21, 2010
- West Bengal paralysed due to shutdown - Sep 20, 2012
- Man tries to immolate self with wife, daughter - Sep 13, 2011
- West Bengal comes to a halt due to shutdown, strike (Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- Journalist beaten allegedly by Trinamool supporters - Feb 28, 2012
- Security beefed up in Kolkata ahead of Republic Day - Jan 24, 2011
- Security beefed up at Eden for World Cup matches - Mar 14, 2011
- Poor visibility disrupts flights at Kolkata airport - Mar 02, 2010
- Modernisation work of Kolkata airport satisfactory: minister - Jan 05, 2010
- Kolkata police discuss security with IPL stakeholders - Mar 21, 2012
- BJP's 12-hour shutdown hits life in West Bengal - Nov 30, 2009
- Bus set on fire, train movement partially hit in Bengal - May 31, 2012
- Kolkata beefs up security for Durga Puja - Oct 12, 2010
- Bengal taxi owners to strike work July 14 - Jul 06, 2011
- Police warn of terrorists taking refuge in Kolkata - Jul 13, 2011