Chiranjeevi’s PRP merges with CongressJune 13th, 2011 - 11:34 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, June 13 (IANS) Praja Rajyam Party (PRP) Monday formally merged with the ruling Congress party in Andhra Pradesh, bringing curtains on the party floated by Telugu superstar K. Chiranjeevi in 2008.
The Election Commission of India gave its approval to the merger, and the state election commission Monday received the documents in this regard.
PRP leader C. Ramchandraiah told reporters that with this the process of merger was completed and all legal formalities fulfilled.
In March, the PRP submitted to the Election Commission of India unanimous resolutions passed by the state executive as well as the district units in support of party president Chiranjeevi’s decision to merge the party with the Congress.
With the completion of merger process, the assembly speaker will now treat all 18 legislators of the PRP as members of the Congress party.
This will increase the Congress’s strength in the 294-member assembly to 173 at a time when opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) plans to move a no-confidence motion against the government.
Two to three legislators of the PRP are likely to be inducted into the state cabinet while Chiranjeevi may become a minister at the centre.
The actor-turned-politician decided to merge his party with the Congress in February this year.
It was on Aug 26, 2008, that Chiru, as he is popularly known among his fans, launched the PRP on the slogan of social justice and promised to provide an alternative to both the Congress and the Telugu Desam Party (TDP).
However, in 2009 elections the PRP got only 18 seats and drew a blank in the Lok Sabha elections.
- Chiranjeevi unhappy with Congress - Dec 03, 2011
- It's curtains for Chiranjeevi's PRP - Mar 12, 2012
- Chiranjeevi satisfied with inclusion in Congress panel - Dec 23, 2011
- Chiranjeevi to take Congress membership Aug 20 - Aug 13, 2011
- Two PRP leaders to be inducted in Andhra cabinet - Jan 18, 2012
- Two PRP leaders sworn in as Andhra ministers - Jan 19, 2012
- Andhra parties welcome by-poll schedule - Apr 24, 2012
- Chiranjeevi, Renuka, four others file papers for Rajya Sabha - Mar 19, 2012
- Chiru, a superstar whose political party proved a flop (Profile) - Feb 06, 2011
- PRP's merger will strengthen Congress: Andhra chief minister - Feb 06, 2011
- Chiranjeevi can become minister only next year: Congress - Jul 01, 2011
- Congress, TDP, TRS issue whips to legislators - Dec 04, 2011
- PRP's merger with Congress may benefit TDP, Jagan (News Analysis) - Feb 07, 2011
- PRP rebel legislator appears before Andhra speaker - Dec 19, 2011
- Chiranjeevi's PRP merges with Congress (Roundup) - Feb 06, 2011
Tags: actor turned politician, assembly speaker, chiranjeevi, chiru, confidence motion, congress party, election commission of india, hyderabad, legal formalities, legislators, lok sabha elections, member assembly, party president, prp, social justice, state cabinet, state election commission, state executive, tdp, telugu desam party