Chiranjeevi to undertake three-month Andhra tourSeptember 2nd, 2008 - 11:40 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Sep 2 (IANS) Telugu superstar Chiranjeevi, who launched his party Praja Rajyam last week, will launch his state-wide ‘yatra’ or tour in the third week of this month.The tour will continue for three months, said party spokesman P. Mitra. He told newsmen Tuesday that a committee would soon be constituted to work out the details of the ‘yatra’.
The actor is likely to address public meetings in all major towns across the state to strengthen his party at the grass-root level.
Former state minister Khaleel Basha and dozens of other Muslim leaders from Kadpa district joined ‘Praja Rajyam’ in the presence of Chiranjeevi at the party office.
Khaleel Basha had quit the main opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) last month. He was a senior TDP leader in Kadpa.
Chiru, as the actor is fondly called, greeted Muslim leaders on the occasion of Ramadan. He recalled his close association with Muslims during his childhood days and narrated how he and his brother would visit the mosque located near their house in their village.
Meawnhile, the actor’s party denied that it was sidestepping key issues like Left-wing extremism and Telangana. Mitra was reacting to a statement by Communist Party of India (Maoist).
Mitra claimed that Praja Rajyam had a clear stand on the Maoist issue. “It is not a law and order problem but a socio-economic one. It is one of the problems created by poverty,” he said and recalled that Chiranjeevi had made this clear in his speech while launching the party at Tirupati Aug 26.
Mitra said the party was identifying problems at grass-root level and would take a clear stand after making a detailed analysis.
- Chiranjeevi's PRP merges with Congress - Jun 13, 2011
- Chiru, a superstar whose political party proved a flop (Profile) - Feb 06, 2011
- Chiranjeevi satisfied with inclusion in Congress panel - Dec 23, 2011
- Chiranjeevi to don grease paint again - Aug 22, 2010
- Chiranjeevi, Renuka, four others file papers for Rajya Sabha - Mar 19, 2012
- Chiranjeevi to take Congress membership Aug 20 - Aug 13, 2011
- Chiranjeevi, five others elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha - Mar 22, 2012
- Chiranjeevi unhappy with Congress - Dec 03, 2011
- TDP's Devender Goud, Ramesh file papers for Rajya Sabha - Mar 19, 2012
- Chiranjeevi's fans in Telangana vow to protect his interests - Sep 21, 2010
- Chiranjeevi to campaign for Congress in Karnataka - Apr 06, 2011
- Congress announces Andhra candidates for Rajya Sabha - Mar 19, 2012
- Jagan keeps Congress guessing on his next move - Nov 30, 2010
- No merger with Congress in future: Chiranjeevi - May 29, 2010
- Chandrababu's son gearing up for major role in TDP - Sep 12, 2012