Chiranjeevi, Naidu blame railway’s negligence for disasterJuly 30th, 2012 - 7:07 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, July 30 (IANS) Congress MP K. Chiranjeevi and Telugu Desam party (TDP) chief N. Chandrababu Naidu blamed the negligence by the railways for Monday’s train disaster at Nellore.
Both the leaders visited Nellore railway station and inspected the compartment, which was gutted in the fire killing 35 people.
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy too appeared unhappy with the railways and pointed out that this is second such incident in the state in less than three months.
“Railways have to think seriously (about passenger safety) and do safety audit of all trains,” he told reporters after going around the charred compartment.
“People in large numbers travel by trains. They have confidence in railways,” the chief minister said while calling for a comprehensive probe by the railways.
Actor-turned-politician Chiranjeevi said railways were not paying attention to passengers’ safety. He stressed the need for speeding up the modernisation of railways.
“Indian railways is the largest organization in the world but we still follow the old safety and security systems introduced during the British time,” said the Rajya Sabha member.
Former chief minister Chandrababu Naidu alleged that railways had no seriousness towards the passenger safety. “The negligence by the centre and railways is to be blamed for this tragedy. At least now they should wake up from deep slumber,” he said
The TDP chief said two lakh posts in railways were vacant and many of them relate to safety. He criticized the railways for not sending forensic experts to collect the evidence despite the doubts that the tragedy could be a result of sabotage.
- Stage set for Tuesday's by-polls in Andhra Pradesh - Jun 11, 2012
- Sabotage not ruled out in train fire: Roy - Jul 30, 2012
- Railways to probe if TN express fire was accident or sabotage - Jul 30, 2012
- 18 train fire victims remain unidentified - Jul 31, 2012
- YSRCP sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags one Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Fourth Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Campaigning ends for Andhra by-elections - Jun 10, 2012
- YSR Congress sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- 35 burnt alive as Tamil Nadu Express catches fire (Third Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- 32 die as Tamil Nadu Express catches fire (Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Chiranjeevi, Renuka, four others file papers for Rajya Sabha - Mar 19, 2012
- 19 train disaster victims identified - Aug 01, 2012
- 35 burnt alive in Tamil Nadu Express blaze (Fifth Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Junior NTR ties the knot with Naidu's relative - May 06, 2011
- PM, Jayalalithaa condole deaths in train fire (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- 15 killed as Hampi Express hits stationary train in Andhra (Lead) - May 22, 2012
Tags: actor turned politician, british time, chandrababu naidu, chief minister, chiranjeevi, forensic experts, indian railways, kiran kumar, lakh, largest organization, less than three months, modernisation, passenger safety, railway station, rajya sabha, safety and security, safety audit, tdp, telugu desam party, train disaster