Chiranjeevi may go to court again for common symbolMarch 3rd, 2009 - 9:25 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, March 3 (IANS) Actor-turned-politician Chiranjeevi Tuesday said his Praja Rajyam party plans to move the court against the Election Commission’s decision not to allot a common election symbol to it for the Lok Sabha elections.
Chiranjeevi held talks with legal experts Tuesday, a day after the Election Commission rejected for a second time the new party’s plea for a common symbol for the assembly and Lok Sabha elections.
Chiranjeevi told reporters that the party was exploring all legal options. “We might again file an appeal in the high court,” he said.
The outfit also plans to approach a national or state level recognised party for a tie up to use its symbol. “This is only a possibility. We have not reached any conclusion,” said Chiranjeevi.
The Election Commission communicated to the party Monday that it would not be allotted a uniform election symbol as it had not yet contested any election.
The Election Commission had rejected Praja Rajyam’s plea last month. But on an appeal by the party, the Andhra Pradesh high court asked the poll panel to reconsider the matter.
The Election Commission’s move is a major setback to the party floated by the Telugu superstar in August last year. The party might find it difficult to contest in the absence of a common symbol.
Party candidates will have to choose among free symbols reserved for independent candidates and there is also no guarantee that the party would get the same symbol in all the constituencies.
Simultaneous elections to the 294-member assembly and 42 Lok Sabha seats from the state will be held in two phases - April 16 and April 23.
- Chiranjeevi's party drops plea for one symbol for its candidates - Mar 17, 2009
- Chiranjeevi's PRP merges with Congress - Jun 13, 2011
- Chiranjeevi, Renuka, four others file papers for Rajya Sabha - Mar 19, 2012
- It's curtains for Chiranjeevi's PRP - Mar 12, 2012
- Court asks EC to give Chiranjeevi's party one symbol for all seats - Feb 06, 2009
- Andhra parties welcome by-poll schedule - Apr 24, 2012
- Chiranjeevi to campaign for Congress in Karnataka - Apr 06, 2011
- Telagu superstar Chiranjeevi''s party fails to get an election symbol - Mar 03, 2009
- YSR Congress elated over first win outside Kadapa - Mar 21, 2012
- Chiranjeevi's party gets new election symbol - Jul 17, 2009
- Chiranjeevi to take Congress membership Aug 20 - Aug 13, 2011
- YSR Congress Party wins Nellore Lok Sabha, 14 assembly seats (Third Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Two Congress lawmakers in Andhra quit, side with Jagan - Jun 04, 2012
- Chiranjeevi, five others elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha - Mar 22, 2012
- Chiranjeevi satisfied with inclusion in Congress panel - Dec 23, 2011