Chiranjeevi backs demand for separate TelanganaOctober 31st, 2008 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Oct 31 (IANS) Joining the Telangana bandwagon, Telugu superstar-turned-politician Chiranjeevi Friday declared that his Praja Rajyam Party (PRP) would not stand as a hurdle if the central government came forth with a proposal to accord separate statehood to the region of the Andhra Pradesh.Addressing roadside meetings in Karimnagar district on the second day of his ‘yatra’ (tour) in the region, he promised to respect the sentiments of the people of Telangana on the issue of separate statehood.
“I know people here want separate Telangana. If you think this will bring rapid development, I am with you,” he said amid cheers from crowds in Jagtiyal town.
The actor, however, put the ball in the central government’s court by saying it would have to take a decision on the issue. He asked people to mount pressure on the central government to achieve the goal.
“If you want separate Telangana, no force can stop you from achieving this,” he said.
Targeting the ruling Congress party, Chiranjeevi said if the central government was sincere, it should honour people’s sentiments. “Ask the centre why it has failed to create separate Telangana. If you want your voice to be heard in Delhi, elect public representatives who support the demand,” he said.
The Congress is the only major party which is yet to forthrightly support separate Telangana. Pressure is mounting on the party to make its stand clear before the next year’s elections.
The main opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP), which was against bifurcation of the existing Andhra Pradesh, recently declared that it favoured separate Telanagna.
Chiranjeevi, who formed the PRP in August, is on eight-day tour of the Telangana region as part of the second phase of his state-wide ‘yatra’.
He, however, criticised parties which were raising the Telangana slogan whenever it suited their interests, and asked people to be cautious of such parties. Without naming any party, he said some parties were exploiting the issue for political gains and cheating the people.
The demand for separate statehood to Telangana region, comprising 10 districts including Hyderabad, goes back to over four decades.
- Chiranjeevi's PRP merges with Congress (Roundup) - Feb 06, 2011
- Protests in Telangana mark Andhra Pradesh formation day - Nov 01, 2011
- Chiranjeevi quits assembly for 'united Andhra' - Dec 17, 2009
- Gadkari flags off Telangana yatra - Jan 19, 2012
- TDP Telangana legislators ready to quit again - Sep 22, 2011
- All-party meeting on Telangana only after all parties are ready: Chidambaram - Mar 01, 2011
- Movement for Telangana gathers momentum; cabinet meets (Intro Roundup) - Jul 05, 2011
- Parleys continue over separate Telangana state in Andhra Pradesh - Dec 13, 2009
- Chiranjeevi reaches Tirupati to support 'united Andhra' - Dec 18, 2009
- UPA betrayed people of Telangana: Advani - Oct 18, 2011
- Nothing less than Telangana acceptable, say TRS, TDP (Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
- More Telangana lawmakers quit, Congress ready for dialogue (Intro Roundup) - Jul 06, 2011
- PRP activists protest Chiranjeevi's decision to oppose Telangana - Dec 17, 2009
- Another man dies for Telangana, TRS calls for shutdown - Mar 26, 2012
- PRP's merger will strengthen Congress: Andhra chief minister - Feb 06, 2011