Chirag, JCT finish goalless in I-LeagueOctober 23rd, 2008 - 11:14 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Oct 23 (IANS) Chirag United put JCT Mills Phagwara on the mat but failed to deliver the killer blow to finish goalless in an I-League encounter here Thursday.The locals created several opportunities but missed all of them, even to the extent of muffing up a penalty in the Salt Lake stadium match.
The formidable visitors, now fourth in the 12-team league, put up a poor show and were clearly lucky to escape with a point which boosted their tally to eight from five outings. Chirag have five points from the same number of matches and lie in the seventh slot.
The local side came closest to scoring in the 38th minute when a Soumik Chakraborty back header was handled inside the box by JCT’S Dawit Singh, and referee O. P. Thakur awarded a spot kick. But veteran Dulal Biswas squandered the golden opportunity by managing a weak shot.
The hosts, moving up the left wing time and again, split open the JCT defence, but lost their way inside the penetrative zone. Snehasish Chakraborty worked untiringly for Chirag and was the spearhead of the attacks.
Towards the end of the first half, Snehasish gave a fine centre to Ayan Chowdhury, but the later’s shot was off-target.
In the 75th minute, Snehasish again set up Ayan with a measured pass, but the forward lost the ball to a rival defender.
The Punjab outfit, on the other hand, could not unleash even one menacing attack during the match.
- East Bengal scrape past Chirag United 4-3 - Apr 16, 2012
- JCT hold Churchill Brothers in I-League - Dec 07, 2010
- I-Leaue: JCT held by East Bengal in a barren draw - Oct 11, 2009
- Chirag United held by Indian Arrows in I-League - Feb 11, 2011
- After Mahindra, now JCT disbands football club - Jun 20, 2011
- East Bengal lead league table with win over Salgaocar - Dec 22, 2010
- I-League: Chirag get past HAL 1-0 - Dec 23, 2010
- Prayag United beat Chirag Kerala 1-0 - Jan 19, 2012
- Salgaocar ride past HAL 4-0, Pailan beat Mumbai FC 2-1 - Sep 21, 2011
- I-League: Pune rout Chirag Kerala - Apr 01, 2012
- Churchill enter Durand Cup semis with Okolie's triple strike - Oct 31, 2010
- East Bengal, Lajong in Fed Cup semis - Sep 21, 2011
- Salgaocar edge past Chirag 1-0 in I-League - Apr 29, 2012
- JCT decides to disband football club, AIFF shocked (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
- Dortmund share point with Nuremberg - Sep 02, 2012