Chirag, East Bengal end goalless in I-League encounterJanuary 24th, 2009 - 9:29 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 24 (IANS) Chirag United failed to go for the kill despite creating chances galore and finished goalless with three-time champions East Bengal in an ONGC I-League encounter here Saturday.With both teams being in the relegation zone, a fierce battle for survival was expected, but the lacklustre display of East Bengal came as a dampener to the handful of spectators who gathered at the Salt Lake stadium.
After 12 matches, East Bengal and Chirag are on 13 points. But thanks to a better goal difference, East Bengal are at the eighth slot, two rungs above Chirag.
But Chirag could easily have upped their position, had Shankar Oraon not missed two golden chances - one in each half.
In the 41st minute, East Bengal defender Nirmal Chhetri’s miscued headed backpass to custodian Subroto Pal was well intercepted by Oraon, but the striker’s final push was off-target.
Oraon got the best chance in the 75th minute, when he got past two East Bengal defenders inside the opponents’ box, and had Pal at his mercy before shooting out.
East Bengal, on the other hand, came closest to scoring in the 50th minute, when Sunil Chhetri let loose a pile driver from outside the box, but the crosspiece came in the way.
On another occasion in the second session, Yusif Yakubu set up Chhetri, but the latter’s shot was saved by Chirag goalkeeper Somnath Khanra at the cost of a corner. Khanra was later adjudged man of the match for his confident display under the bar.
East Bengal, who started off with only one foreigner in Yakubu, lacked good moves. And despite adding two more overseas players - Ghanaians Suley Musah and Ishmael Ado - as the match progressed, they failed to impress.
- Federation Cup: Wahingdoh shock Mohun Bagan - Sep 18, 2011
- Salgaocar edge past Chirag 1-0 in I-League - Apr 29, 2012
- East Bengal, Lajong in Fed Cup semis - Sep 21, 2011
- East Bengal win 116th IFA Shield - Mar 17, 2012
- East Bengal finish goalless with Mohammedan Sporting - Nov 03, 2008
- Prayag United, Mumbai FC shock rivals - Nov 23, 2011
- New Delhi Heroes stun Goa's Sporting, East Bengal eye semi-final berth - Dec 13, 2008
- Salgaocar inch closer towards maiden I-League title - May 19, 2011
- East Bengal look to level with Dempo in I-league - Jan 30, 2012
- East Bengal in Fed Cup semifinals - Sep 21, 2011
- East Bengal scrape past Chirag United 4-3 - Apr 16, 2012
- Bagan beat East Bengal 5-3 - Oct 26, 2009
- Mohun Bagan get past East Bengal 1-0 in I-league - Nov 21, 2011
- Relegation threatened Chirag United face Mohun Bagan in I-League - Jan 30, 2012
- Salgaocar scrape past Prayag United - Feb 06, 2012