Chinese vice-president meets US presidentFebruary 15th, 2012 - 7:30 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Feb 15 (IANS) Chinese Vice-President Xi Jinping called on US President Barack Obama at the White House Tuesday and delivered a letter from Chinese President Hu Jintao.
Xi is presently undertaking a five-day US visit.
Accroding to BBC, the 58-year-old Xi is widely expected to succeed Chinese President Hu Jintao, who must retire as head of the Communist Party later this year and from the presidency in 2013.
Hu, in his letter to the US president, has expressed a desire to make joint efforts with Obama to grasp opportunities and overcome difficulties and to further promote the building of the China-US cooperative partnership based on mutual respect and mutual benefit, Xinhua reported.
Xi said his visit was aimed at implementing the important consensus reached by the presidents of the two countries on the promotion of bilateral ties.
His visit’s objective, said Xi, was also to increase consensus, deepen friendship and communicate with people from various walks of life in the US.
In his opening remarks, Xi said that he listened to the proposals of several former US officials at a meeting Monday, and reached consensus with his US counterpart, Joe Biden, in talks earlier Tuesday morning.
- US, Chinese vice presidents discuss relations - Feb 08, 2012
- US vice president reaches China on official visit - Aug 18, 2011
- Chinese vice president aims to end trust deficit with US - Feb 10, 2012
- US vice president to visit China, Japan - Aug 05, 2011
- Chinese, US vice presidents hold talks - Aug 18, 2011
- US welcomes peaceful rise of China: Obama (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Chinese defence minister in US to boost military ties - May 11, 2012
- US vice president ends China visit - Aug 22, 2011
- Chinese, US presidents meet on bilateral ties - Jun 20, 2012
- Chinese President Hu proposes four points to improve US relations - Jan 18, 2011
- Obama says US welcomes China's peaceful rise - Jan 20, 2011
- Krishna meets China's would-be PM - Jun 06, 2012
- Clinton in Beijing for strategic, economic dialogue - May 02, 2012
- Missing Chinese leader sends condolences - Sep 13, 2012
- US-China military hotline eases ties - Nov 12, 2011
Tags: barack obama, bilateral ties, chinese president hu, chinese president hu jintao, chinese vice, communist party, consensus, cooperative partnership, hu jintao, joe biden, mutual benefit, mutual respect, opening remarks, president hu jintao, president washington, tuesday morning, us counterpart, walks of life, xi jinping, xinhua