Chinese terrorist gets death sentenceMarch 28th, 2012 - 4:30 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, March 28 (IANS) The ringleader of a Chinese terrorist group has been sentenced to death, China Daily reported Wednesday.
Abdukerim Mamut was found guilty of running a terrorist group, leading terrorist attacks and murder, according to Tianshannet, a news website run by the Xinjiang regional government’s information office.
Under Chinese law, he has the right to appeal the conviction and sentence.
According to trial information, Mamut preached religious extremism to a circle of followers and founded a nine-member terrorist organization with himself as ringleader.
They selected targets and planned attacks, including checking locations.
On Feb 28, according to the website, Mamut called the members at his house, handed out knives and axes, and instructed the group in the details of an attack to be carried out that day.
They went to a crowded pedestrian street and attacked people with the knives and axes. Thirteen people died and 16 were injured. Two later died.
Police captured Mamut. They shot seven terrorists dead.
Two similar terrorist attacks occurred in the prefecture in July, killing 14 people and leaving 42 wounded.
- Man gets death for terror attack in China - Mar 27, 2012
- Four get death sentence for China terror attacks - Sep 15, 2011
- China claims smashing Xinjiang terror ring - Jun 24, 2010
- 12 killed in China riots (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- 12 killed in China riots - Feb 28, 2012
- China to freeze terror funds - Oct 24, 2011
- China blames terrorists trained in Pakistan for Xinjiang attack (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Seven killed in China attack - Jul 31, 2011
- China vows crackdown over Xinjiang attacks - Aug 02, 2011
- China seeks Pakistan help to nab six terrorists (Third Lead) - Apr 06, 2012
- Xinjiang terror attack not good for Pakistan, says daily - Aug 03, 2011
- China names six terrorists (Lead) - Apr 06, 2012
- After Pakistan, India, jihadists may attack China: Daily - Aug 08, 2012
- Nine killed in China bus-truck collision - Dec 10, 2011
- Typhoon Talas leaves at least 18 dead in Japan - Sep 04, 2011
Tags: axes, beijing, china daily, chinese law, conviction, death sentence, followers, information office, knives, mamut, pedestrian street, prefecture, regional government, religious extremism, ringleader, targets, terrorist attacks, terrorist group, terrorist organization, terrorists