Chinese spy held near Dalai Lama palaceMarch 20th, 2012 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, March 20 (IANS) A Chinese national was arrested in this seat of the Tibetan government-in-exile on suspicion of spying, police said Tuesday.
Li Chengzie of Hunan province, who has been staying illegally in a monastery in McLeodganj for the past 10 days, was arrested Monday night, Assistant Superintendent of Police G. Shiva Kumar told IANS.
The monastery is located near the official palace of the Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama.
Kumar said Chengzie, 25, was produced in a court Tuesday, which sent him to police remand till March 24.
A dictionary for translating words from Tibetan dialect to English, a Bhagavadgita in English, an Outlook Traveler magazine and a personal diary were seized from the man.
“Chengzie has a Nepal tourist visa that expired on March 16. He might have entered India after travelling through Nepal illegally,” Kumar added.
McLeodganj, in Himachal Pradesh, is home to a large Tibetan population.
- High ranking lama arrested in Delhi - Jun 15, 2012
- Tibetan government-in-exile expresses faith in Karmapa - Mar 11, 2011
- Devotees stand by Karmapa, throng monastery - Jan 31, 2011
- Prayers, hunger strikes mark Tibetan sacred festival - Feb 22, 2012
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala - Jul 06, 2012
- Two Tibetans arrested for raping girl in Dharamsala - Feb 14, 2010
- Protests, prayers mark Hu visit - Mar 28, 2012
- Tibetans fined for unauthorised protest - Feb 25, 2012
- Losar will be a muted in McLeodganj this year - Feb 18, 2012
- Devotees march in Karmapa's support - Feb 02, 2011
- Buddhist monks in India pray for quake victims - Mar 13, 2011
- Tibetans hold prayers for Arunachal chief minister - May 05, 2011
- First Tibetan women's team to keep date with ball (With Image) - May 25, 2012
- Eight suspected Taiwanese arrested in Himachal (Second Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Dalai Lama's abode gets more snow - Jan 19, 2012
Tags: assistant superintendent, bhagavadgita, chinese spy, dalai lama, dharamsala, dialect, dictionary, mcleodganj, monastery, monday night, personal diary, remand, shiva kumar, suspicion, tibetan government in exile, tibetan population, tibetan spiritual leader, tourist visa, translating words, traveler magazine