Chinese policeman jailed for life over bribeJune 15th, 2012 - 4:47 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, June 15 (IANS) A former police officer in China’s Guangdong province who took bribes from mafia-style gangs and served as an umbrella for their illegal activities has been sentenced to life imprisonment, a media report said.
Feng Shiru, former deputy director of Yangjiang City Public Security Bureau, was charged with taking 7 million yuan ($1 million) in bribes and 4.5 million yuan in assets after being promoted to the post in 1995, Shanghai Daily reported.
While confiscating Feng’s illegal income, the Yangjiang Intermediate People’s Court deprived him of his political rights for life.
Feng received bribes from two ringleaders running underground casinos. He would tip them off ahead of a police operation. Both ringleaders have been sentenced to death, one with a reprieve.
The police officer also invested about $320,000 in a casino run by the gangs in Macao in 2004 and took advantage of his position to let convicted gang members to serve their sentences outside the prison, a media report said.
- Ex-cop and brother jailed for running mafia in China - Jan 21, 2012
- Napkin counterfeit ring smashed - Aug 22, 2012
- Nearly 1,400 criminals arrested in China - Nov 22, 2011
- Former police chief gets death for corruption - Jul 23, 2010
- Gambling racket busted in China, 800 held - Mar 31, 2012
- Chinese mafia ring busted, 58 held - Jun 19, 2012
- Chinese court backs death sentence for gang boss - May 25, 2010
- China sentences 58 in mine landslide case - Sep 30, 2010
- Chinese court sentences ex-police chief to death - Apr 15, 2010
- In crackdown on graft, China probed 2,723 officials in 2010 - Mar 11, 2011
- Three gang bosses sentenced to death in China - Oct 22, 2009
- Former Chinese governor gets life imprisonment for bribery - Apr 09, 2011
- Beijing tax chief gets death sentence - May 10, 2012
- 18 mafia leaders jailed in China - Jun 01, 2010
- Former Chinese football bosses jailed for bribery - Jun 13, 2012
Tags: 5 million, bribe, bribes, former deputy director, gang members, gangs, guangdong province, illegal activities, life imprisonment, macao, mafia style, police officer, police operation, policeman, public security bureau, reprieve, shanghai, shiru, yangjiang, yuan