Chinese police kill seven kidnappers, free hostagesDecember 29th, 2011 - 1:38 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Dec 29 (IANS) Police fatally shot seven kidnappers during a hostage rescue mission in northwest China Wednesday night, authorities said Thursday.
Two people were kidnapped in the mountainous area of Hotan prefecture in Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region at about 11 p.m. Wednesday, reported Xinhua.
Police opened fire as the kidnappers “resisted arrest”, a spokesman with the Xinjiang regional government said.
Seven kidnappers were shot dead, and four were wounded and arrested. One police officer was killed and another wounded in the rescue.
The two hostages were freed.
- 50 Chinese kids 'rescued' from religious preachers - Jun 06, 2012
- Nine killed in China bus-truck collision - Dec 10, 2011
- Rioters attack Chinese police station, 4 killed - Jul 18, 2011
- Magnitude 6 quake hits China - Mar 09, 2012
- China gives solar-powered TVs to herdsmen - Nov 01, 2011
- 18 die as coach plunges into gorge in China - Mar 11, 2011
- Police in China's Xinjiang region gun down rioters - Jul 18, 2011
- 12 killed in China riots (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Plane hijacking attempt foiled in China - Jun 29, 2012
- Seven killed in China attack - Jul 31, 2011
- China's jade trade is off-limits to officials - May 07, 2012
- Strong earthquake jolts China (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- 16 killed, 21 injured in road accident in Tibet - Mar 15, 2011
- Four get death sentence for China terror attacks - Sep 15, 2011
- Six killed in China mine blast - Feb 15, 2012
Tags: authorities, autonomous region, beijing, chinese police, free hostages, hostage rescue, kidnappers, mountainous area, northwest china, police officer, prefecture, regional government, rescue mission, spokesman, wednesday night, xinhua