Chinese minority celebrates own Valentine’s DayApril 6th, 2012 - 1:33 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, April 6 (IANS) An ethnic minority community in China, called the Miao, has its own form of Valentine’s Day — a three-day dating festival for young people to find their Mr. or Miss Right.
The “Sisters Festival” in southwest Guizhou province kicked off Thursday to the sound of “Lusheng”, a reed-pipe wind instrument, Xinhua reported.
However, the festival is celebrated by more than just hopeful singles.
Wu Li, a 34-year-old mother of two kids, says she is very excited about the occasion. She stays in the province’s Taijiang county and woke up at 5 a.m. to put on make-up and get ready for a parade.
“Our ethnic costumes and the silver accessories on the head weigh over 5 kg, but they look so beautiful and I have fun dancing in them,” Wu said.
Besides a parade, there is also the “Sisters Meal”.
Young women make flower-shaped rice dumplings with gifts wrapped inside and serve them to the men they like.
Because the dumplings are shaped like flowers, the festival is also known as the “Festival hidden in Flowers”.
Taijiang county is home to 159,000 people, of which more than 90 percent are Miao.
- Chinese police recapture top human trafficker - Nov 11, 2011
- Illegally stored chemicals blamed for China blast (Lead) - Dec 05, 2010
- Five die in China quake - Sep 07, 2012
- Four killed in China bus crash - Feb 01, 2012
- Four killed in China bus accidents - Jan 08, 2012
- 10 dead in China colliery gas leak - Nov 28, 2009
- Earthquake rocks China - Mar 23, 2009
- Internet cafe blast kills 6, injures 37 in SW China - Dec 05, 2010
- 12 cars collide in China, three dead - Feb 27, 2012
- 11 trapped in China coal mine - Apr 27, 2012
- 24 killed, 150 injured in China quake (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- 12 dead, three mn hit by China storms - Jul 14, 2012
- Rainstorms in China leave 18 dead - Jul 20, 2012
- Women make style statements with hats at royal wedding - Apr 29, 2011
- Five die from toxic gas in China mine - May 11, 2012
Tags: beijing, china, chinese minority, ethnic costumes, ethnic minority community, flowers, guizhou province, kg, miao, old mother, reed pipe, rice dumplings, silver accessories, southwest, valentine s day, wind instrument, wu li, xinhua, young women