Chinese man gets death for arson that killed 11August 20th, 2012 - 4:12 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 20 (IANS) A 46-year-old Chinese man was Monday sentenced to death for an arson attack at his girlfriend’s family’s home that killed 11 people earlier this year.
A people’s court in Nanping, Fujian province, convicted Liu Quanshun of arson, and ordered him to pay four million yuan (around $630,000) as compensation, Xinhua reported.
Liu met his girlfriend surnamed Li in a casino in Nanping in 2009.
Even though the woman was married to another man, the two moved in together.
When Li’s father and husband found out and went to confront the couple, the woman claimed she was raped by Liu and filed a complaint with the police.
Liu, after being interrogated by police, blackmailed Li’s family.
When his demand was not met, he poured fuel on the family’s brick-and-wood house one night in January, and set it on fire. Li’s parents and 10 other people died in the blaze. Liu fled the scene but was arrested within hours.
- Dead woman married twice in China - Feb 22, 2012
- Four killed in China stabbing, arson attack - Aug 04, 2012
- Chinese woman burns lover's home to break up with him - Jun 02, 2011
- Blackmail rapist jailed for 19 years - Jan 14, 2012
- Man abducted 30 years ago reunited with parents - Dec 13, 2010
- Chinese man stabs eight school children to death (Lead) - Mar 23, 2010
- Chinese man planned to kill 30 students - Mar 26, 2010
- Leopard mauls croc keeper to death in China zoo - Jul 19, 2012
- Chinese held for mailing bomb to girlfriend - Apr 14, 2012
- Fake fortune teller jailed in Shanghai - Sep 10, 2012
- Chinese jailed for swindling girlfriend - Aug 19, 2012
- Man attacking call girls held - Jan 12, 2012
- Chinese parents play cupid on Valentine's Day eve - Feb 14, 2011
- Seven hurt as man opens fire in US casino - Jul 25, 2011
- 31 held in China for running porn website - Jul 19, 2012