Chinese internet users identify role modelsApril 22nd, 2012 - 3:17 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, April 22 (IANS) Ten ordinary Chinese have been recognized as national role models, based on the results of a quarterly online poll.
The 10 were chosen for their actions and behaviour that touched millions of internet users across the country.
The poll, organized by Xinhua news agency, was held to inspire moral strength by highlighting the good deeds of ordinary people.
Among those recognized was Liu Zhenmao who lived alone on Shizikou mountain in central China’s Hunan province for 30 years to volunteer to protect forests and wildlife on the remote peak.
Wang Sujing, a doctor at Jilin University’s School of Computer Science and Technology and suffers from cerebral palsy but won international academic acclaim for his research, was also honoured in the results. Internet users have labeled him “the Chinese Stephen Hawking.”
Wang Yimeng, a 10-year-old orphan, who looks after her elder brother who suffers from cerebral palsy, is also there on the list.
Other good Samaritans included a girl who saved a boy from drowning in a freezing river, a boy who risked his life to save his mother from fire, and Metog, a 33-year-old woman in Lhasa, who adopted an abandoned baby girl in 2009. Metog, a street cleaner, barely makes ends meet after she took on the responsibility of mothering the girl alone.
- Grief in China as girl who was run over dies - Oct 21, 2011
- Chinese mother jailed for drowning twins - Jun 29, 2011
- IVF cerebral palsy risks need serious consideration, say scientists - Nov 03, 2010
- Palsy patient still feels scared when boarding plane - Apr 19, 2012
- Chinese talent show star dies in plastic surgery accident - Nov 25, 2010
- Public sympathy for Chinese woman who killed two kids - May 18, 2011
- Boy gets 7.3 mn pounds for medical blunder - Mar 04, 2011
- Achievers with cerebral palsy felicitated in Mumbai - Sep 04, 2012
- Chinese now swap skills on internet - Apr 16, 2011
- Punish airline for deboarding woman: Disabled rights group - Feb 21, 2012
- Girl who lived with dead grandmom recovering - Oct 06, 2011
- China searches for actor to play model citizen - May 18, 2012
- Three executed over fatal fire in China - Mar 29, 2012
- 430 dogs to be sold as meat rescued in China - Apr 18, 2011
- Now websites can track your IP address - Apr 25, 2011
Tags: baby girl, central china, cerebral palsy, chinese internet users, computer science, elder brother, good deeds, good samaritans, hunan province, jilin university, lhasa, moral strength, old woman, ordinary people, orphan, results internet, role models, science and technology, stephen hawking, xinhua news agency