Chinese envoy meets Krishna on Indian traders plightJanuary 4th, 2012 - 7:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 4 (IANS) Chinese envoy Zhang Yan Wednesday met External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna and assured him about the safety of two Indian businessmen who were tortured and held by local traders near Shanghai.
Zhang had earlier met Joint Secretary (East Asia) Gautam Bambawale on the same issue.
Two Indian traders were tortured and held by local traders in connection with a trade dispute in Yiwu, one of China’s largest centres for commodities trading.
Sources said in his meeting with Bambawale, the Chinese ambassador assured that criminal proceedings had been initiated against five locals for the act.
Sources said the Chinese ambassador said that “serious attention” was being given to the situation and they would resolve the situation quickly.
He also assured their safety.
Zhang’s meeting came a day after India summoned Zhang Yue, a deputy chief of the Chinese mission in New Delhi, for ill-treatment meted out to an Indian diplomat S. Balachandran posted in China.
According to reports reaching here, Balachandran had gone to the court to obtain the release of the two businessmen.
According to reports, S. Balachandran — posted in the Indian consulate in Shanghai and a diabetic — was Dec 31 forced to attend a five-hour hearing in support of the two Indian traders at China’s Yiwu city near Shanghai.
- India secures release of its traders trapped in China (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Two Indian traders to reach Shanghai soon: Krishna - Jan 04, 2012
- Indian diplomat ill-treated in Chinese court, India protests (Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- BJP meets Chinese envoy on traders' issue - Jan 05, 2012
- China values ties with India - Jan 05, 2012
- India protests ill-treatment of diplomat in China - Jan 02, 2012
- Krishna meets Indian traders, will take up issue with China - Jun 06, 2012
- Indian diplomat secretly tried to take away two Indians: Paper - Jan 05, 2012
- Map row: Chinese envoy asks journalist to shut up - Nov 03, 2011
- Visa row: Indian military team's China visit called off (Second Lead) - Jan 06, 2012
- China sparks row, denies visa to IAF officer from Arunachal - Jan 06, 2012
- Indian Navy ships in China next week, to expand strategic trust - Jun 07, 2012
- Indian traders safe in Shanghai: Government - Jan 05, 2012
- India, China to resume dialogue on non-proliferation - Apr 13, 2012
- China cautions its citizens travelling to India - Jun 04, 2012
Tags: balachandran, chinese ambassador, chinese envoy, chinese mission, commodities trading, criminal proceedings, deputy chief, east asia, external affairs minister, gautam, ill treatment, indian businessmen, indian consulate, indian diplomat, indian traders, krishna, local traders, trade dispute, yiwu city, zhang yan