Chinese defence minister to skip Amar Jawan JyotiSeptember 3rd, 2012 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 3 (IANS) Chinese Defence Minister Gen Liang Guanglie will have a packed schedule in India Tuesday, but he will not be visiting Amar Jawan Jyoti, the war memorial for the unknown soldier, at India Gate, a customary stop for visiting defence ministers.
He will hold talks with his Indian counterpart A.K. Antony and meet the heads of all services. Gen Liang is also expected to call on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
This is the first visit by a Chinese defence minister in the last eight years.
Contacted to know why Gen Liang will not be visiting the war memorial, the Chinese embassy, declined to comment on it. No reason has been ascribed, with officials saying it could be due to back-to-back meetings the Chinese defence minister has in New Delhi.
Incidentally, Oct 20, 2012 will be the 50th anniversary of the month-long war India and China fought in 1962.
Gen Liang’s visit comes just ahead of the once-in-a decade leadership change in China expected later this year.
Cao Gangchuan was the last Chinese defence minister to visit India in March 2004.
- China told about activities in Pakistani Kashmir: India - Sep 03, 2012
- India, China to discuss ramp up in military ties - Sep 02, 2012
- Indian, Chinese defence ministers hold 'fruitful' talks - Sep 04, 2012
- China's defence minister likely to visit India - Jul 31, 2012
- 'China, India military exchanges back on track' - Sep 03, 2012
- High expectations from Chinese minister's India trip: Daily - Sep 05, 2012
- Chinese defence minister in US to boost military ties - May 11, 2012
- Chinese defence minister to visit India - Aug 30, 2012
- `Chinese military diplomacy to reduce India's concerns' - Sep 04, 2012
- No report of Chinese incursion in Kashmir: Antony - Sep 05, 2012
- China, Bangladesh pledge closer military ties - Sep 15, 2011
- Sri Lanka is no stage for India-China rivalry: Envoy (Interview) - Sep 17, 2012
- India, China to resume joint military exercises (Roundup) - Sep 04, 2012
- India for freedom of navigation in South China Sea - Aug 30, 2012
- China, Indonesia eye closer military ties - Jan 16, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,