Chinese court re-tries man, reduces sentenceMarch 31st, 2008 - 9:30 pm ICT by admin
Guangzhou (China), March 31 (Xinhua) A south China court Monday commuted the life sentence given to a migrant worker who took 175,000 yuan ($24,400) from a faulty ATM, to five years in jail. The Intermediate People’s Court of Guangzhou in the southern province of Guangdong convicted Xu Ting in the theft case and fined him 20,000 yuan, in addition to his jail term. It also ruled that Xu return his windfall to the bank.
“The judges reached their verdict taking into account the fact that Xu’s theft took place when there was something wrong with the ATM, so, compared with a premeditated crime, his action was less violent,” said judge Gan Zhengpei while reducing the quantum of the sentence
The verdict in the 24-year-old Xu’s first trial sparked an outcry among the media and legal experts, with many saying that he didn’t deserve such severe punishment.
The Intermediate People’s Court of Guangzhou was told by the Guangdong Provincial Higher People’s Court last month to retry the case. It said the November ruling lacked evidence and some facts needed clarification.
- Chinese patient jailed for hospital stabbing - Apr 21, 2012
- 25 sentenced to death for kidnapping in China - Feb 05, 2010
- Two drug traffickers receive death penalty in China - Aug 08, 2010
- Top Chinese official jailed for bribery - Dec 08, 2011
- Two Chinese officials executed for bribery - Jul 19, 2011
- 21 jailed in China for telecom fraud - Jul 22, 2011
- China jails eight for selling fake sex pills - Nov 09, 2011
- Chinese businesswoman's death sentence upheld - Jan 18, 2012
- Two drug traffickers gets death penalty in China - Aug 08, 2010
- Brother turns himself in China toll evasion case - Jan 16, 2011
- Ex-cop and brother jailed for running mafia in China - Jan 21, 2012
- No top post for Chinese officials with family abroad - Apr 27, 2012
- Four drug gang members get death penalty in China - Dec 26, 2010
- Chinese policeman jailed for life over bribe - Jun 15, 2012
- Six jailed in China for selling tainted bean sprouts - Aug 13, 2011