Chinese banks post record profitsFebruary 19th, 2012 - 2:37 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Feb 19 (IANS) Chinese commercial banks have posted a record high net profit of 2.65 trillion yuan ($420.6 billion) in 2011, according to latest official data.
Net profit in the fourth quarter of 2011 exceeded 1 trillion yuan for the first time, reaching 1.04 trillion yuan, the China Banking Regulatory Commission (CBRS) said.
It was a marked increase from 817.3 billion yuan of net profit in the third quarter, 536.4 billion yuan in the second quarter and 263.5 billion yuan in the first quarter, it said in a statement Saturday.
The lenders saw their non-performing loan ratio decline 0.1 percentage point year-on-year to 1 percent in the fourth quarter, while their capital adequacy ratio stood at 12.7 percent, Xinhua quoted the CBRC statement as saying.
Provision coverage ratio, the ratio of provisioning to gross non-performing assets which indicates the extent of funds a bank has kept aside to cover loan losses, reached 278.1 percent in the fourth quarter, higher than 217.7 percent at the end of 2010.
Chinese banks have been benefiting from strong growth in net interest income, investment returns and fees and commissions despite the global financial crisis.
In 2010, the Chinese banking industry, including commercial banks, policy banks, credit cooperatives and other financial institutions, posted 899.1 billion yuan of profit after tax, up 34.5 percent year-on-year.
- ICICI Bank quarterly net profit rises 36 percent - Jul 27, 2012
- SBI quarterly profit soars to Rs.4,050 crore - May 18, 2012
- Chinese banking model unsustainable: Daily - Feb 22, 2012
- Chinese own 2.95 bn bank cards - Mar 19, 2012
- Canara Bank net up 79 percent in fourth quarter - May 05, 2011
- Chinese banks lend $27 bn for low-cost housing - Jan 31, 2012
- Canara Bank net up five percent in third quarter - Jan 31, 2011
- UBI Q4 net up 4 percent - May 05, 2012
- SBI annual net profit surges nearly 42 percent (Lead) - May 18, 2012
- Indian Bank to raise $500 mn for overseas operations - Jul 29, 2011
- Spanish banks' bad-loans ratio hits new record - Aug 18, 2012
- Allahabad Bank's Q4 net profit up by 14.74 percent - May 02, 2011
- China's 2011 fiscal revenue hits $1.64 trillion - Jan 20, 2012
- Vijaya Bank net zooms 235 percent in Q4 - Apr 30, 2012
- HDFC Bank Q4 profit up 30 percent - Apr 18, 2012
Tags: banking industry, capital adequacy ratio, cbrs, china banking regulatory commission, chinese banking, chinese banks, commercial banks, coverage ratio, credit cooperatives, financial institutions, global financial crisis, income investment, interest income, investment returns, loan losses, net interest, net profit, percentage point, record profits, xinhua