Chinese automaker to develop electric car with US partnerApril 26th, 2012 - 2:00 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, April 26 (IANS) One of China’s major privately owned automakers, Great Wall Motors, will work with a US company to develop electric vehicles.
The automaker signed an agreement Tuesday with CODA Automotive at the ongoing Beijing International Automotive Exhibition to jointly design and build an economy-class electric car that will be aimed at Chinese, US and European markets, reported Xinhua.
According to the agreement, the car will be built at Great Wall Motors’ plant in Baoding city of Hebei province, with the first model expected to come off the assembly line in the second quarter of 2014.
“We will maintain a long-term cooperative partnership with CODA Automotive so we can offer leading electric vehicles amid a looming global energy and environmental crisis,” said Wei Jianjun, board chairman of Great Wall Motors.
Originally a pick-up truck maker, Great Wall Motors has expanded its product line to sport utility vehicles, buses and sedans. The company went public at the Hong Kong Stock Exchange at the end of 2003 and was listed on the Shanghai Stock Exchange in September 2011.
The company’s auto sales totaled 462,700 units in 2011, up 27.3 percent year-on-year amid the overall market’s mild growth of 2.45 percent.
Headquartered in Los Angeles, California, CODA Automotive is a privately-owned company that designs, manufactures and sells electric vehicles and lithium-ion battery systems.
- BMW to recall nearly 3,000 cars in China - Jul 05, 2012
- Now, a leaf-like car that absorbs CO2 and spews oxygen - May 22, 2010
- New software makes future electric cars closer to reality - Mar 15, 2011
- GM expects more sales with Beat's diesel version - Jun 23, 2011
- Chinese firm plans aggressive auto export - Apr 22, 2012
- Chinese major FAW Foundry mulling investment in India - Feb 28, 2012
- Spark goes out of General Motors India's deal with Reva - May 26, 2010
- Now, a futuristic fuel efficient lightweight car - Sep 13, 2011
- Japanese steelmaker to build plant in central Mexico - Aug 08, 2012
- China launches first electric car for public - Oct 27, 2011
- Cellphone batteries to recharge in 15 minutes - Nov 18, 2011
- Why batteries lose their ability to hold a charge as they age - Oct 20, 2010
- 35 dead in China accident - Oct 07, 2011
- Saab to roll out electric cars - Sep 04, 2012
- A battery-powered car that can speed up to 155mph, travel 186 miles! - Mar 25, 2011
Tags: battery systems, beijing international, board chairman, coda, cooperative partnership, economy class, electric car, electric vehicles, european markets, first model, global energy, hong kong stock, hong kong stock exchange, kong stock exchange, lithium ion battery, owned company, pick up truck, shanghai stock exchange, sport utility vehicles, xinhua