Chinese Americans protest western media bias over TibetApril 20th, 2008 - 1:00 pm ICT by admin
Washington, April 20 (Xinhua) Over 300 Chinese Americans protested here against certain Western media and politicians’ alleged biased remarks over last month’s riots in Lhasa. The protestors staged a peaceful demonstration Saturday in the Upper Senate Park that lies across the street from the US Capitol Building here.
Chinese Americans, overseas Chinese professionals and students took part in the event.
“American media, you can muzzle our voices, but cannot smother the truth!” read one banner.
“We Chinese Americans feel outraged by the biased Western media coverage on the Lhasa riots and Olympic torch relay. I think it is time to have our voices heard,” said Ma Xiping, one of the organisers.
“How can you say the Dalai clique’s violent attempts to sabotage the Beijing Olympics are ‘peaceful actions’? We must tell people the truth and stop media distortion,” she said.
To illustrate their part of the story, the demonstrators held some 50 placards with photos and data, which gave examples of the “Dalai clique’s” alleged violent actions in Lhasa and western media’s biased reports.
They were also angry with some members of the US Congress, who supported the Dalai Lama, the Tibetan spiritual leader.
Wu Xiaohui, a local Chinese leader, told Xinhua that some US politicians’ attitude toward the Lhasa riots clearly demonstrated their “double standards” in foreign policy as well as their arrogance and disrespect for people in other parts of the world.
- Self-immolations: China warns Dalai Lama - Mar 07, 2012
- Self-immolations in Tibet politically motivated: Lawmaker - May 16, 2012
- We have proof of Dalai Lama's involvement in Lhasa riots: Chinese minister - Oct 29, 2009
- Tibetan self immolations: Why isn't the world listening? (Comment) - Mar 29, 2012
- 'Dalai Lama's death will not affect Tibet' - Mar 08, 2011
- China bans entry of tourist in Tibet - Mar 08, 2011
- Two self-immolations in Tibet - Mar 05, 2012
- Tibetans protest near Chinese embassy, detained - Mar 09, 2011
- Censorship in China is morally wrong: Dalai Lama - Jun 24, 2012
- China restricts foreigners from visiting Tibet - Mar 08, 2011
- Dalai Lama meets fellow Nobel icon Suu Kyi - Jun 20, 2012
- Dalai Lama has thrown a gauntlet to Beijing (Comment) - Mar 13, 2011
- Dalai Lama hands a democracy prescription to China - Mar 10, 2011
- Dalai Lama to speak on human rights in Asia - Dec 10, 2011
- China must probe self-immolation cause: Dalai Lama - Jun 29, 2012