China’s Zheng Jie wins Auckland WTA titleJanuary 8th, 2012 - 5:17 pm ICT by IANS
Auckland, Jan 8 (IANS) China’s Zheng Jie came back from a set down to claim the ASB Classic women’s tennis title 2-6, 6-3, 2-0 here Sunday.Playing indoors after the scheduled match day was washed out by rain Saturday, Italy’s Flavia Pennetta yielded the game when she pulled out with a back injury while trailing in the third set.
It was the first WTA title for the unseeded Zheng since winning at Estoril and Stockholm in 2006.
Zheng went down 2-6 in the first set, but took control of the match when the fourth seed Italian started complaining of a back injury.
The first signs of trouble came when the Italian called a medical time out for a problem with her back while she was leading 5-2.
Despite the problem, Pennetta’s play appeared to be unaffected and she held serve to claim the set.
However, the second set proved to be her breaking point and Zheng took four games in a row.
Fearing she would aggravate her injury, Pennetta called it quits early in the third set, when Zheng was leading 2-0.
Zheng secured her place in the finals by defeating number 3 seed Svetlana Kuznetsova of Russia, 2-6, 6-3, 6-3 Friday.
- Top seed out of ASB Tennis Classic in Auckland - Jan 05, 2012
- Djokovic, Sharapova coast into Australian Open fourth round (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2012
- US Open: Top seeds flare up in second round - Sep 02, 2011
- Australian Open: Djokovic marches on; Roddick retires (Roundup) - Jan 19, 2012
- Woznicaki scrapes past Hradecka in China Open - Oct 03, 2011
- French Open: Sania enters doubles quarters, Bhupathi exits - May 30, 2011
- French Open: World No.1 Azarenka crashes out - Jun 03, 2012
- Wimbledon: Paes-Vesnina win, walkover for Bopanna-Zheng - Jul 05, 2012
- Federer beats Mahut to enter French Open fourth round - Jun 02, 2012
- Dulko-Pennetta win Australian Open women's doubles title - Jan 28, 2011
- Serbia-Czech Republic in Fed Cup final - Apr 23, 2012
- Radwanska advances at Wimbledon, Penetta knocked out (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Kuznetsova shakes off frustration to win in Miami opener - Mar 26, 2010
- Nadal storms ahead on rainy day in Melbourne - Jan 18, 2010
- Pennetta crashes out at Wimbledon - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: asb classic, back injury, breaking point, china, classic women, estoril, first signs, flavia pennetta, four games, italy, match day, number 3, rain, russia, signs of trouble, stockholm, svetlana kuznetsova, tennis title, time out, zheng jie