China’s quake toll at 69,000, no outbreak of epidemicJune 2nd, 2008 - 6:46 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, June 2 (Xinhua) The toll in the May 12 earthquake in China’s northwest region rose to 69,000, the government said Monday and added that there was no report of outbreak of epidemic in the affected areas. A total of 19,000 people were still untraced and some 15 million were displaced in the 8.0-magnitude quake that jolted Sichuan province and some other areas.
As of Sunday, disaster relief workers had evacuated about 1.05 million people to safe areas, the government said.
The health ministry said Monday there had been no major outbreak of epidemics or public health incidents in the quake-hit areas.
Spokesman Mao Qun’an said in an online interview with netizens at the central government’s www.gov.cn that in the event of an outbreak of epidemic, the government would “promptly alert people”.
He said the ministry and the provincial government have been open with all monitoring reports concerning epidemics in the quake zone.
Mao said that deep burial of earthquake victims in Sichuan had been “scientifically handled” and would not contaminate water sources.
The ministry had taken special care to prevent contamination of drinking water sources, the spokesman said.
More than 5,000 medical professionals were mobilized from Beijing, Shanghai, Liaoning and many other provinces.
“In the post-quake period, the major killers of in-patients are multiple organ failure and complicated drug-resistant infections,” Mao said.
The public health service has mobilised 139,642 medical workers in the quake-hit areas, 91,298 of whom are in Sichuan province, Mao said.