China’s Hu receives Taiwan party chief in a historic firstMay 28th, 2008 - 6:46 pm ICT by admin
Beijing, May 28 (Xinhua) Chinese President Hu Jintao Wednesday met Taiwan’s Kuomintang (KMT) or the Nationalist Party of China chairman Wu Poh-hsiung in the first top-level interaction between the two sides in 60 years. Hu, in his capacity as general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, welcomed the KMT chief and other members of the delegation, and hailed Wu’s first visit to the mainland as a major event in the relations between the CPC and the KMT and between the mainland and Taiwan.
He expressed hope that on the basis of previous exchanges and dialogues, the two parties would further exchange their views on promoting relations and facing the future together, jointly work for peaceful development of relations across the Taiwan Strait.
Hu thanked his Taiwan compatriots for their concern and generous donations and assistance to relief efforts in the wake of the devastating magnitude earthquake in Sichuan province.
“I believe we can anticipate a peaceful and steady development of relations between the mainland and Taiwan as long as the two sides show care for each other and interact out of goodwill,” Wu said.
He said no one could guarantee that there would never be any more natural disasters.
But through joint efforts, the people in the mainland and Taiwan could guarantee that there would never be war between the two sides, and the two would move toward a better relationship of mutual help and a win-win situation, Hu said.
- Taiwan leader seeks closer ties with mainland China - Jul 12, 2010
- Taiwan's top political leader starts China visit - May 26, 2008
- China, Taiwan hold economic, cultural forum - Dec 20, 2008
- China offers to help Taiwan tackle financial crisis - Dec 20, 2008
- Efforts will avert cross-Strait conflict: Taiwan party chief(Lead) - May 28, 2008
- Dalai Lama urged to keep politics out during his Taiwan visit - Aug 31, 2009
- Chinese culture minister visits Taiwan - Sep 02, 2010
- China, Taiwan talks to resume soon - May 29, 2008
- Chinese, Bangladeshi legislators hold talks - Oct 13, 2011
- Taiwan, China to resume talks amid dispute over island's sovereignty - Jun 08, 2008
- A burnt classic Chinese painting reunited after 360 years - Jun 02, 2011
- China, Taiwan sign historic economic pact (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- Taiwan bets on trade pact to avert China invasion - May 19, 2010
- Taiwan's 'Grand' thaw with China (With Images) - Jun 30, 2010
- Hu, Putin discuss bilateral cooperation, strategic tie-ups - Oct 12, 2011