China to host World Snooker later this yearApril 28th, 2012 - 6:53 pm ICT by IANS
Sheffield (England), April 28 (IANS) The newly-launched World Snooker International Championship will be staged for the first time later this year in China, with the tournament offering the highest top prize ever for a competitive event in Asia.
The world ranking event will run from Oct 28 to Nov 4 with 600,000 pounds ($972,000) in total prize money and the winner to collect 125,000 pounds ($202,000), reported Xinhua.
It will carry the same level of ranking points as the UK Championship, which is traditionally tipped as one of the “big three” events in a season along with the ongoing World Championship and the Masters.
The tournament will feature 32 of the world’s top professional players, plus eight Asian wild cards.
The event will be staged for the next five seasons following an agreement between World Snooker and CCTV Sports & Entertainment Co Ltd. The host city is likely to be confirmed shortly.
World Snooker Chairman Barry Hearn said: “We are absolutely delighted to announce this fantastic new event, alongside CCTV Sports & Entertainment Co Ltd, a great partner with vast experience in television broadcast and events.”
“The International Championship will take snooker into a city which has never staged a professional event before, in turn helping the sport to grow in China.
“Last season there were two ranking events in China, next season there will be five, which shows the level of growth in the region and the hunger of the Chinese fans for more snooker.”
China’s top player Ding Junhui added: “It’s great news for the players and the Chinese fans that we will have a new ranking tournament in China next season.”
- Seeded players keep failing at world snooker - Apr 26, 2012
- Snooker king Hendry ends 27-year career - May 02, 2012
- India to host 2013 world professional snooker meet - May 04, 2012
- Ryan Day takes slender lead against Ding in world snooker - Apr 25, 2012
- World snooker: Cao Yupeng loses, Hendry thrashes holder - Apr 29, 2012
- Mehta thrilled to receive Arjuna - Aug 31, 2012
- Geet Sethi, Pankaj Advani for inaugural Kolkata Open snooker - Apr 26, 2012
- Aditya eyeing gold at Asian Snooker - Apr 18, 2012
- Chinese debutant Cao stuns Allen at world snooker - Apr 23, 2012
- Snooker ace Yasin Merchant calls it a day - Dec 01, 2011
- Angry at Allen remark, WPBSA moots action - Apr 24, 2012
- Mark Williams in last 16 of snooker worlds - Apr 27, 2012
- Northern Irishman Allen clinches World Snooker Haikou Open - Mar 05, 2012
- Li Na becomes first Chinese to qualify for WTA Championships - Oct 06, 2011
- Rs.1.25 crore prize money year-ending PGTI Championship at RCGC - Apr 12, 2012
Tags: amp, asia, barry hearn, cctv, china, chinese fans, five seasons, great news, host city, hunger, masters, prize money, professional event, professional players, sheffield england, Sports, television broadcast, wild cards, world snooker, xinhua