China to have cloud computing baseAugust 22nd, 2011 - 5:03 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 22 (IANS) China’s largest cloud computing base will be in Jiangsu province with a total investment of 400 million yuan.
The Shuguang Cloud Computing Industrial Base will be in Nanjing city, capital of east China’s Jiangsu province, People’s Daily reported.
Cloud computing is the delivery of computing as a service rather than a product, in which shared resources, software and information are provided to computers and other devices as a utility over a network.
The Shuguang Cloud Computing Industrial Base is estimated to reach tera-scale computing as well as have a storage capacity of 1 petabyte in three years.
The first phase of the project has an investment of 100 million yuan, and its computing scale will reach 50 trillion times per second, with a storage capacity of 200 terabytes, the media report said.
In addition, its computing scale will be promoted to 300 trillion times per second, with a storage capacity of 500 terabytes in the second phase of the project.
A Petabyte is approximately 1,000 Terabytes or one million Gigabytes. A Terabyte is approximately one trillion bytes, or 1,000 Gigabytes.
- Computer scientists shatter 'terabyte barrier', set new world record - Aug 01, 2010
- Google launches 'cloud' service - Apr 25, 2012
- Eco-friendly tech expo opens in China - Nov 26, 2011
- Intel chips to power servers for cloud computing - Jul 15, 2011
- Tulip Telecom offers on-demand cloud storage services - May 03, 2012
- Jackpot worth $2.5 mn goes unclaimed in China - Aug 01, 2011
- 30 percent of global web traffic is porn - Apr 09, 2012
- China eyes next-generation internet - Dec 24, 2011
- Thai computer hard drive industry hit by floods - Nov 22, 2011
- China's e-commerce giant hives off reward points service - Dec 20, 2011
- Storing zettabytes of information on a few grams of DNA - Aug 23, 2012
- Institute of Mathematical Sciences open to sharing supercomputer - Jul 30, 2010
- People question government spending in Chinese province - Aug 02, 2011
- Chinese police hunt for suspect in armed robbery - Jan 06, 2012
- EU Commission and industries join to build 'Internet of the Future' - May 03, 2011