China to ensure security at every school by 2013August 18th, 2012 - 12:03 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 17 (IANS) With a number of murder incidents taking place in Chinese schools in recent years, the country has decided to beef up security measures at schools and kindergartens by next year.
According to China’s Education Minister Yuan Guiren, the country will ensure every school and kindergarten has at least one security guard by 2013.
The minister also ordered schools to hold one emergency drill each term, organise security courses, improve security systems and strengthen security in human resources and technology, China Daily reported.
In Nanping county in China’s Fujian province, Zheng Minsheng, a doctor, stabbed eight students to death and injured five others at a primary school March 23, 2010.
In May, 2010, Wu Huanming killed seven children and two women in a kindergarten in Nanzheng county in Shaanxi province. Another 11 children were injured.
In the few weeks between the two incidents, a few other school killings occurred in other towns and cities including Shanwei in Guangdong, Hepu in Guangxi, Leizhou in Guangdong, Taixing in Jiangsu and Weifang in Shandong.
A total of 19 people were killed and almost a hundred were injured in these incidents that triggered a national alert for school safety.
- Nine killed in China kindergarten attack (Second Lead) - May 12, 2010
- Seven die in China kindergarten attack (Lead) - May 12, 2010
- 44 school kids stabbed in China in 2 days (Second Lead) - Apr 29, 2010
- Rapid social change led to kid-stabbing spree in China - May 11, 2010
- China strengthens security in schools - May 03, 2010
- School attacks: China vows to act firmly - May 14, 2010
- Man kills himself after attacking school kids in China - Apr 30, 2010
- 28 children stabbed in China (Lead) - Apr 29, 2010
- Seven kids killed in China school attack - May 12, 2010
- Seven children hacked to death in China - May 12, 2010
- Chinese man planned to kill 30 students - Mar 26, 2010
- Chinese man stabs eight school children to death (Lead) - Mar 23, 2010
- School in China reopens after stabbing incident - Mar 24, 2010
- China to monitor radiation in water around n-plants - Jan 18, 2012
- Man stabs eight people to death in eastern China - May 09, 2010
Tags: china daily, chinese schools, education minister, emergency drill, fujian province, guangdong, jiangsu, kindergartens, s education, school killings, school safety, security courses, security guard, security measures, shandong, shanwei, taixing, towns and cities, weifang, yuan