China to bring 3rd generation n-reactors to service in 2013January 15th, 2012 - 6:18 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Jan 15 (IANS) China will bring third generation nuclear reactors to service in 2013, a top Chinese nuclear company official has said.
Despite being hindered by the Japan nuclear crisis, China’s first AP1000 nuclear power reactor is expected to come into operation by the scheduled time of 2013, Xinhua quoted the official as saying here Saturday.
According to Wang Binghua, board chairman of the State Nuclear Power Technology Corporation (SNPTC), construction progress of the country’s third-generation nuclear reactors is generally “under control”.
The country started to construct its first third-generation pressurised water reactors in 2009, which were also the world’s first to use AP1000 technologies developed by US-based Westinghouse.
As per world nuclear association, the third-generation reactors have a simpler and more rugged design, making them easier to operate and less vulnerable to operational upsets.
They have higher availability and longer operating life - typically 60 years and resistance to serious damage that would allow radiological release from an aircraft impact.
- China may approve new nuclear plants - Apr 22, 2011
- China to construct 10 nuclear reactors using 'AP1000' third-generation technology - Jul 06, 2010
- China starts constructing third-generation nuclear reactors - Apr 20, 2009
- Nuclear power sector target too 'aggressive', says expert - Feb 09, 2011
- China builds third generation nuclear reactors - Apr 20, 2009
- Areva to import critical parts for first nuke units in India - Oct 15, 2010
- China starts work on n-power plant project - Dec 29, 2009
- Bhavini takes measures in favour of fast reactor project - Jun 11, 2012
- India's first fast breeder reactor to go critical early 2013 - Jan 21, 2012
- Kudankulam plant to start commercial operations in August - May 18, 2012
- China to build first third generation nuke plant in March - Jan 04, 2008
- China raises investment in nuclear R&D; - Feb 21, 2012
- Indian nuclear reactors generate record power - Apr 04, 2012
- India ranks sixth in nuclear power generation - Nov 27, 2010
- China to start work on four nuke plants in 2009 - Dec 31, 2008
Tags: beijing, board chairman, china, construction progress, japan, nuclear company, nuclear crisis, nuclear power reactor, nuclear power technology, nuclear reactors, resistance, rugged design, technology corporation, third generation, water reactors, westinghouse, world nuclear association, xinhua