China supporting northeast rebels: former army officerOctober 18th, 2011 - 10:28 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, Oct 18 (IANS) Chinese intelligence agencies are supporting insurgents in India’s northeast, former Eastern Command chief Lt. Gen. J.R. Mukherjee said Tuesday.
He made the remark while advocating better relations between India, China, Myanmar and Bangladesh, saying this would help bring down militancy in the northeastern states.
“We need to have friendly relations with China, Myanmar and Bangladesh. Unless India’s relationship improve with these countries, northeast militants will continue to find safe havens,” Mukherjee said at a two-day workshop here in Meghalaya.
Citing the example of United Liberation Front of Asom’s Paresh Baruah, Mukherjee said the fugitive was getting shelter in Myanmar and in China’s Yunnan province.
Mukherjee said Mynmarese military junta earlier supported Indian militant outfits because India was supporting the pro-democracy movement.
The former army official said that China had built infrastructure throughout the border areas whereas Indian security forces and government agencies had failed to do so.
- ULFA dismiss Pillai's claim on Paresh Baruah - Feb 17, 2012
- Indian agencies deny ULFA leader injured in Myanmar - Sep 10, 2011
- Two journalists, not ULFA leader, held in Myanmar: Official - Dec 07, 2011
- 'Paresh Baruah trying to collect funds to strengthen ULFA' - Feb 13, 2012
- Three Myanmarese arms smugglers arrested in Meghalaya - Jun 19, 2011
- No info on arrest of ULFA chief in Bangladesh: Pillai - May 20, 2010
- Bangladesh crackdown puts pressure on ULFA chief - Dec 27, 2010
- India in touch with neighbouring countries for nabbing Paresh Baruah - Dec 05, 2009
- Peaceniks counter ULFA with volleyball - Apr 06, 2012
- ULFA team heads for talks with government - Aug 04, 2011
- Shillong 'safe haven' Myanmarese smuggling arms - Jul 22, 2010
- Manmohan, Chinese PM to meet in Bali; insurgent issue on agenda - Nov 16, 2011
- ULFA leaders in Bangladesh, Myanmar to surrender: Pillai (Interview) - Jun 06, 2010
- ULFA offers ceasefire to pave way for talks (Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Top rebel leader in Bangladesh, say Meghalaya Police - Jul 07, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,