China sitcom accused of copying US hit ‘Friends’August 7th, 2012 - 10:04 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Aug 7 (IANS) A popular Chinese television show has been accused of ripping off popular US sitcom “Friends” and a number of other American hits.
The Global Times daily said viewers in China have taken to online forums claiming the Mandarin-language sitcom “iPartment” show has lifted plot points and jokes from “Friends”, “How I Met Your Mother” and “The Big Bang Theory”.
“iPartment” began in 2009 and centres on a group of people living in an apartment building. The show is now in its third season, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.
“Many lines and scenes have been completely ripped off from American shows. I thought it was shameful to do this. It is an insult to the American TV producers and an insult to the screenwriters and producers of original Chinese TV shows,” said a viewer, identified as Grace.
The show’s producers have acknowledged using jokes from “various sources”.
A spokesman for “iPartment”, however, said: “We didn’t copy the American sitcom.”
“Comedies have stereotypes, like the handsome man, the gorgeous woman, the cheap man and so on. They have that in many comedies. Our creation is not plagiarism, but more a homage to the American sitcom,” he said.
- Chinese sitcom accused of copying 'Friends' - Aug 07, 2012
- Fox Star Studios To Release 'Khichdi' On October 1 - Sep 03, 2010
- News Corporation’s STAR Launches 7-Channels On Bell Fibe TV - Nov 24, 2010
- TV's popularity attracts movie actors: Vipul Shah - May 16, 2012
- 'From Sydney...' has no double-meaning comedy: Sharad Malhotra (With Images) - Jul 30, 2012
- Fox Star to release big screen version of TV series 'Khichdi' - Aug 14, 2010
- Nigerian engineer becomes a pop star in China - May 23, 2011
- Sheen's 'Anger Management' viewership drops - Jul 08, 2012
- After comedies, SAB focuses on magic with new shows - Dec 08, 2010
- "The Golden Girls" Reborn In Span - Jul 28, 2010
- 'Sarabhai vs Sarabhai' won't come back: Deven Bhojani - May 16, 2012
- Mexican comedian gets role in Hollywood sitcom - Dec 21, 2011
- Small screen competition makes it tough, says hit producer - Mar 26, 2011
- 'Crime Patrol' gives me sense of responsibility: Anup Soni - Apr 19, 2012
- Japan protests BBC jokes about atomic bomb survivor - Jan 22, 2011
Tags: american tv, big bang theory, cheap man, chinese television, chinese tv, global times, gorgeous woman, handsome man, how i met your mother, ipartment, mandarin language, morning herald, plagiarism, plot points, screenwriters, sitcom comedies, sitcom friends, sydney morning herald, third season, tv producers