China says 40,000 killed, 30,000 still missing in quakeMay 20th, 2008 - 8:59 pm ICT by admin
Beijing, May 20 (Xinhua) The toll in the killer earthquake that ripped through southwestern Chinese province of Sichuan last week has now crossed the 40,000-mark and more than 30,000 are still missing, the authorities tasked to provide quake related information said Tuesday. At a press conference here, the Information Office formed under the State Council, put the quake death toll at 40,074. The total number of people injured in the 7.9-magnitude quake was 247,645, while 32,361 people were still missing since the disaster struck the nation, the office added.
According to the ministry of civil affairs, about 5.36 million buildings have been confirmed destroyed and more than 21 million buildings were damaged in the earthquake.
The quake affected 434 counties in 10 provinces, the ministry said in a statement issued Tuesday.
Up to 360,159 people trapped under the rubbles have so far been rescued safely, the ministry said, and added that military and rescue officials had reached all 1,044 of the worst-hit villages in 134 townships in Sichuan province by Tuesday evening.
The ministry also said that it has allocated 278,462 tents, 783,984 quilts and 1.78 million items of cotton-padded clothes to the quake zones.
Meanwhile, the power grids in quake-hit Sichuan, Gansu, Shaanxi as well as Chongqing municipality have been restored to normal operation, while the electricity supplies to Gansu, Chongqing and Shaanxi have been resumed.
However, restoration of power was yet to be made in the worst-hit Beichuan, Maoxian and Wolong counties, the information office said.
- China helps 12 mn quake-hit people with $137 bn expenditure - Feb 24, 2012
- 5.4-magnitude quake hits China - Nov 01, 2011
- China braces for heavy rains - May 20, 2012
- Five die in China quake - Sep 07, 2012
- Nearly 100 killed in China rains (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Rains likely to hit China's food bowl - May 28, 2012
- Downpour wreaks havoc across China - Jul 24, 2012
- 100,000 snowed in people evacuated in southwest China - Jan 12, 2011
- Two dead, 100 injured in China quake - Jun 24, 2012
- China mourns mudslide victims with half-mast flags - Aug 15, 2010
- China marks 140th anniversary of Giant Panda's discovery - Aug 16, 2009
- 300 killed in twin quakes in Iran (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- China quake toll rises to 25 - Mar 11, 2011
- Quake hits China, damages 678 homes - Feb 02, 2011
- China quake toll mounts to 1,484 - Apr 18, 2010