China remembers much maligned leader Liu ShaoqiNovember 11th, 2008 - 9:03 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Nov 11 (Xinhua) Chinese leaders led by President Hu Jintao Tuesday marked the 110th birth anniversary of Liu Shaoqi, late president and Communist leader who was prosecuted and died during the Cultural Revolution.”We have gathered here with deep respect to remember his contribution to the independence and liberation of China, the development of the country and welfare of the people,” said Hu at the ceremony.
Liu worked hard for the cause of Party and people all his life, making great contribution to the revolution and construction of socialism in China, Hu said.
Born in 1898, Liu joined the Communist Party of China (CPC) at the age of 23 and led several important trade union strikes in the 1920s.
He marched with the Red Army in the Long March (1934-1936) but, in the middle of it, he was sent to north China that was ruled by then Kuomintang government and led the underground resistance to the Japanese invasion.
In 1945, Liu was elected a member of the CPC Central Committee Political Bureau and a Central Committee secretary.
When the the communists came to power in 1949, Liu was elected the vice chairman of the central government. He was president from 1959 to 1968 and introduced many pragmatic economic policies.
Liu was removed from all his positions in 1968 during the Cultural Revolution and died in 1969, denounced as a traitor and enemy agent. In 1980, he was rehabilitated.
- Nepali president meets visiting Chinese leader - Nov 08, 2011
- China opens counter-espionage museum - May 10, 2012
- Father of modern Chinese navy Liu Huaqing dies at 95 - Jan 15, 2011
- Chinese delegation to visit India, Pakistan - Oct 29, 2011
- Chinese vice president gets key military post - Oct 18, 2010
- Taiwan leader seeks closer ties with mainland China - Jul 12, 2010
- Chinese railway minister sacked for indiscipline - Feb 25, 2011
- Communist Party of China sets agenda for five years (Roundup) - Oct 18, 2010
- 2,270 delegates to attend CPC Congress - Aug 13, 2012
- 'China ready to work with new North Korean leadership to promote bilateral ties' - Oct 02, 2010
- `China's publishing firms must go global' - Dec 24, 2011
- Hu wants plantation drives to support scientific development - Apr 04, 2012
- CPC elects younger delegates to national congress - Aug 14, 2012
- Chinese minister sacked from party post - Feb 12, 2011
- Chinese team calls on SM Krishna - Nov 12, 2009