China quake toll rises to 34,000May 19th, 2008 - 6:29 pm ICT by admin
Beijing, May 19 (Xinhua) The toll in last week’s devastating earthquake in China rose to 34,073 Monday, relief headquarters of the State Council said. The quake, measuring eight on the Richter scale (according to a latest government report), jolted the south-western Sichuan Province May 12, killing and wounding thousands of people in the aftermath.
Officials said around 245,108 people were injured in the quake.
According to the health ministry, some 52,934 people have been treated and 3,304 people died in hospitals.
China Monday announced a three-day mourning exactly a week after the devastating earthquake.
The flag will remain half-mast during the period and all public entertainment facilities have been suspended.
Meanwhile, the government has boosted the rescue work in quake-hit areas. More people have been brought in to help in the rescue efforts.
The civil affairs department and the army have sent more than 250,000 tents, 723,500 quilts, 1.78 million clothes, food and drinking water worth 34.22 million Yuan ($4.96 million) to the quake-hit regions.
According to the State Electricity Regulatory Commission (SERC), power supply to all quake-hit counties has been restored, except Beichuan, Maoxian and Wolong Counties.
Meanwhile, IDR satellite devices have been provided for 76 of the 109 quake-hit townships where telephone lines were damaged.
- 35 injured, 64,500 affected in China quake (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Toll in Turkey quake rises to 459 - Oct 26, 2011
- Over 20 aftershocks hit Japan (Lead) - Mar 12, 2011
- China quake toll rises to 25 - Mar 11, 2011
- China quake kills 64, injures over 700 (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- 24 killed, 150 injured in China quake (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- China helps 12 mn quake-hit people with $137 bn expenditure - Feb 24, 2012
- Quake-hit Japan faces nuclear crisis, toll may cross 10,000 (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2011
- China quake toll rises to 1,944 - Apr 19, 2010
- 1,000 feared killed as major quake jolts Turkey - Oct 23, 2011
- Toll in China quake rises to 1,339 (Lead) - Apr 17, 2010
- Five die in China quake - Sep 07, 2012
- Turkey quake toll reaches 279 - Oct 25, 2011
- Japan faces fears of n-radiation, more quakes (Lead) - Mar 16, 2011
- China says 40,000 killed, 30,000 still missing in quake - May 20, 2008