China quake toll goes past 67,000May 27th, 2008 - 5:40 pm ICT by admin
Beijing, May 27 (Xinhua) China Tuesday updated the toll in the May 12 earthquake at 67,187 and said more than 20,790 people were still untraced following the quake in the southwestern province of Sichuan. Relief workers relocated 698,302 people to safe areas, and rescued 6,541 survivors out of quake ruins, the information wing of the State Council said.
About 400,000 people were injured in the devastating earthquake, it said.
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) said Tuesday it was extending a $1 million grant to China to support relief efforts.
The Manila-based ADB said the technical assistance will fund the acquisition of essential equipment and supplies for basic services, and review the disaster management framework for the quake area.
The programme will also conduct a preliminary damage and needs assessment of the physical and social infrastructure.
“Subsequent reconstruction programmes and projects may require additional ADB-supported funding,” the bank said.
Meanwhile, more bad news came from central China’s Hunan province where two days of heavy rain have affected 38,000 people, damaging homes and crops and washing out roads.
However, no casualties were reported.
Some 38,000 people in six townships of Yuanling county were affected by the downpour, with 295 residential buildings damaged and two destroyed. Standing drops on 730 hectares of land has been affected by the rain which rendered some 210 ha uncultivable for the season.
- China quake toll goes past 67,000 (Roundup) - May 27, 2008
- 11 killed in south China rains - Jul 15, 2012
- China quake: Toll rises to 80 (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- 38,000 displaced in Sri Lanka floods - Dec 22, 2011
- China quake: Toll rises to 67; over 700 injured - Sep 08, 2012
- Rains, floods hit China - Jun 28, 2012
- Hailstorms kill six in China - May 13, 2012
- Over 750,000 hit by storms in China - May 01, 2012
- 35 injured, 64,500 affected in China quake (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Five die in China quake - Sep 07, 2012
- China floods toll rises to 175 - Jun 21, 2010
- Over 100,000 evacuated after heavy rains in China - May 22, 2010
- Earthquake shakes China's Yunnan province - Sep 07, 2012
- China quake toll rises to 25 - Mar 11, 2011
- Heavy rains bring relief to drought-hit China - Jun 05, 2011