China quake deaths minimised by quick response: premier

May 16th, 2008 - 12:35 pm ICT by admin  

Chengdu (China), May 16 (Xinhua) Premier Wen Jiabao Friday said China has reduced the toll from Monday’s earthquake to the greatest extent possible with speedy relief efforts. “It is still within the critical period for saving lives, and we won’t give up if there is even the slightest hope of finding more survivors,” he said in an interview with Chinese media on a train.

Saving lives remained the top priority almost four days after the quake, he said.

Relief work had been “orderly, forceful and effective” in the face of “the biggest and most destructive natural disaster since new China was founded in 1949″, the premier said.

Hours after the quake, China rapidly deployed a large number of rescue and medical workers for immediate rescue and treatment, he said. The quick response had helped reduce casualties to the greatest extent.

The premier vowed “to pour out whatever the country is capable of” to tackle the massive disaster and fight till the end.

To move forward with relief work, the country needs confidence, resolution, perseverance and forceful organisational work, he said.

“We believe that as long as the government officials, the military and the civilians work together, we would surely win this battle (disaster relief),” Wen said.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |