China probes schoolgirl’s suicidal jumpNovember 22nd, 2011 - 3:41 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Nov 22 (IANS) Authorities in China are probing the death of a 13-year-old schoolgirl who is suspected to have jumped to her death last week following corporal punishment meted out to her at the school.
According to an initial investigation, the teacher’s decision to give her corporal punishment might have provoked the schoolgirl to commit suicide in Luoyang, a city in Henan province, the China Daily reported.
A mathematics teacher punished the girl and several of her classmates for not doing their homework on time by making them do squat thrusts — an exercise in which a person first squats down, then thrusts his legs out horizontal to the ground, then returns to the squatting position and finally stands up - said a report by the educational bureau.
The report described the teacher’s commands “corporal punishment in disguised form”.
Han Jingquan, deputy chief and spokesman of the Luoyang city’s educational department, while promising a stern action against anyone found guilty, rebutted the allegations made by an unnamed source on an internet forum.
The post, which linked the girl’s suicide directly to the punishment, said she was required to do 800 squat thrusts and was beaten and insulted by her teacher after which she had fallen over due to exhaustion.
The girl jumped from a six-storey building Friday afternoon, it alleged.
- Chinese teen ends life over violence - Jul 11, 2012
- Three students caned over 300 times for not doing homework - May 20, 2011
- Rajasthan to launch helpline for school kids - Apr 08, 2011
- Bengal student kills herself after being punished - Jul 27, 2012
- Hyderabad boy dies after corporal punishment, teacher booked - Sep 14, 2012
- Underage girl forces classmates into prostitution in China - Dec 07, 2011
- Teacher suspended for making students slap each other - Dec 19, 2011
- Elderly Chinese teacher molests 10 schoolgirls - Apr 20, 2012
- Nine Assam school kids caned, government talks tough - Jun 13, 2010
- Two held for Chinese journalist's killing - Sep 21, 2011
- A Chinese call centre that will create 60,000 jobs - Jan 12, 2012
- China punishes six officials after tourist beaten up - Sep 24, 2011
- Rouvanjit's death hasn't deterred beatings in Bengal schools - Aug 16, 2010
- Corporal punishment death: autopsy hints at epilepsy - Apr 24, 2009
- Chinese woman gets death for infant trafficking - Jun 17, 2012
Tags: allegations, china daily, classmates, corporal punishment, deputy chief, educational bureau, educational department, exhaustion, friday afternoon, initial investigation, internet forum, luoyang city, mathematics teacher, probes, schoolgirl, squat thrusts, squats, squatting position, stern action, unnamed source