China orders mass evacuation from ‘quake lake’ areaMay 30th, 2008 - 5:56 pm ICT by admin
Mianyang (China), May 30 (Xinhua) China Friday ordered evacuation of 1.3 million people from the quake-hit Sichuan province to higher grounds for fear of a “quake lake” burst as a result of flooding and aftershocks. The toll in the killer March 12 quake in the southwestern province of Sichuan reached 68,858 Friday, the State Council said, adding that some 18,618 people were still missing.
Tan Li, the chief of Mianyang city quake control and relief headquarters, Friday issued an order that 1.3 million people living downstream of Tangjiashan, a swelling quake-created lake, must evacuate to higher grounds demarcated by government departments.
The risk of the lake, formed by landslides that blocked the Jianjiang river after the quake, breaching its bank worsened as downpour started around the Tangjiashan, driving up the lake water level.
Tangjiashan, one of the 35 lakes created in the 8.0-magnitude quake, is inaccessible by road and can only be reached on foot or by air.
The seismological observatory in Sichuan predicts that aftershocks will continue along the northern end of the Wenchuan-Beichuan-Qingchuan faultline in the forthcoming days, with the most powerful one being estimated to go around 6.5 in terms of magnitude.
The province has till date experienced as many as 750 aftershocks, the strongest being of 6.4 magnitude which killed eight people last week.
- China orders mass evacuation from quake area (Roundup) - May 30, 2008
- 1.3 mln quake-hit Chinese to be shifted to higher grounds over the weekend - May 30, 2008
- China quake kills 64, injures over 700 (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- 24 killed, 150 injured in China quake (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Two dead, 100 injured in China quake - Jun 24, 2012
- China helps 12 mn quake-hit people with $137 bn expenditure - Feb 24, 2012
- China to make movie on earthquake - Dec 25, 2011
- 35 injured, 64,500 affected in China quake (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Nearly 200,000 people evacuated from quake-hit Chinese province - May 31, 2008
- China issues flood warning as quake lake nears draining - Jun 05, 2008
- Over 150,000 Chinese evacuated from Beichuan over flood fears - May 28, 2008
- 'Quake Lake' could cause flood as it nears drainage point - Jun 06, 2008
- 1,000 feared killed as major quake jolts Turkey - Oct 23, 2011
- Chronology of world's major quakes since 1900 - Mar 11, 2011
- Quake rocks New Zealand - Dec 23, 2011