China issues warning as Typhoon Jangmi approachesSeptember 29th, 2008 - 1:12 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Sep 29 (Xinhua) China issued a warning Monday morning against the approaching Typhoon Jangmi, which has left two people dead and 58 injured in Taiwan over the weekend.According to the latest forecast at 6 a.m. by China’s National Meteorological Observatory, the typhoon was located 210 km southeast off the Cangnan county in Zhejiang province with winds of up to 126 km per hour.
The super-strong typhoon had eased and would continue to move northward at 15 km per hour, the observatory said.
Issuing a notice, the observatory said Jangmi might divert to move northeast during the daytime, but it could not rule out the possibility that the typhoon might make landfall at coastal areas along Fujian and Zhejiang provinces.
It also advised ships and fishing boats to seek shelters at ports and urged local authorities prepare for possible floods and landslides.
The typhoon brought heavy landfall in Taiwan’s northeastern Yilan region Sunday afternoon before heading towards China.
Taiwan’s disaster centre said Monday that the typhoon left two people dead, two missing and 58 injured when it slammed the country over the weekend.
The typhoon caused severe damage to agriculture as large areas of crops and vegetables were inundated by floods, the centre said.
- 200,000 evacuated in China in fear of typhoon - Aug 06, 2011
- Typhoon Damrey slams China - Aug 03, 2012
- Over 850,000 evacuated due to China storms - Aug 05, 2012
- China braces for Typhoon Muifa - Aug 07, 2011
- Typhoon Muifa: China evacuates 206,000, issues red alert (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- Thousands evacuated in China as Muifa threat looms large (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- Typhoon 'Megi' hits China, 270,000 evacuated - Oct 23, 2010
- Vietnam, Taiwan slammed by typhoons (Lead) - Sep 29, 2008
- Typhoon Morakot weakens, leaves trail of destruction in China - Aug 10, 2009
- China raises typhoon alert - Sep 19, 2010
- Over 150,000 Chinese evacuated as Typhoon Megi approaches - Oct 22, 2010
- Deadly typhoon Morakot causes severe flooding rains in Taiwan and China - Aug 11, 2009
- Taiwan issues warning as Typhoon Fanapi approaches - Sep 18, 2010
- 300,000 evacuated as typhoon lands in south China - Sep 29, 2011
- 150,000 evacuated in China due to typhoon threat - Oct 21, 2010