‘China, India, Japan to cooperate on naval escorts’February 23rd, 2012 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Feb 23 (IANS) The defence ministry said Thursday that China, India and Japan will step up their coordination and cooperation on international anti-piracy naval escorts.
“The integrated escort schedule will be arranged on a quarterly basis,” Xinhua quoted defence spokesman Geng Yansheng as saying during a news briefing.
He also noted that the strengthened coordination and cooperation could increase the efficiency of escort operations and better safeguard navigational safety.
The schedule-making process will be led by the reference country quarterly, said Geng.
He explained that as the first reference country, China has already proposed its schedule, and the other countries involved in the operation will formulate their own schedules according to China’s.
Geng noted that China has been playing an active role in promoting international naval escort operations and has boosted its exchange of intelligence, mutual visits among commanders, and joint naval escorts and drills with relevant countries and organizations.
According to the spokesman, 10 Chinese navy flotillas, including 25 warships, 22 helicopters and over 8,400 officers and soldiers, have been deployed to the Gulf of Aden for escort missions since December 2008.
- China, India, Japan cooperate in naval escorts - Apr 01, 2012
- India, China, Japan join hands for anti-piracy operations - Mar 14, 2012
- India flags maritime troubles with China at meet with Japan - Nov 03, 2011
- Indian warship thwarts pirate attack on Greek vessel - Jul 19, 2011
- South Korea to join India-China-Japan anti-piracy patrols (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- China not for war in South China Sea - Aug 01, 2012
- Indian warships visit China after six years - Jun 14, 2012
- India asks ADMM Plus for cooperation to secure sea-lanes - Oct 12, 2010
- South Korea to join India-China-Japan anti-piracy patrols - Jun 12, 2012
- Russia may evacuate personnel from Syria if attacked - Jul 29, 2012
- Antony leaves for Japan to further defence relations - Nov 01, 2011
- 'China not to participate in arms race' - Feb 24, 2012
- India signs pacts with Seychelles to combat piracy - Feb 15, 2012
- With China watching, India, Seychelles to up anti-piracy efforts - Feb 02, 2012
- Russian, Chinese warships begin joint exercises - Apr 24, 2012
Tags: anti piracy, beijing, chinese navy, cooperation, coordination, country china, defence ministry, defence spokesman, efficiency, flotillas, gulf of aden, helicopters, India, intelligence, japan, missions, news briefing, quarterly basis, warships, xinhua