‘China increasing presence in Pakistani Kashmir’December 27th, 2011 - 2:39 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Dec 27 (IANS) Causing concern in the Indian Army, China has increased the presence of its military engineers in Pakistan-administered Kashmir, a senior army officer said.
Although the exact number of Peoples Liberation Army men and engineers engaged in building infrastructure across the Line of Control is not known, their number has increased in recent months, the senior commander said.
The LoC divides Jammu and Kashmir between India and Pakistan.
“Our intelligence reports about the presence of PLA (men and engineers) have been authenticated now, and their number is on the rise,” Maj. Gen. K.H. Singh told reporters in Rajouri, a border town 160 km north of Jammu, Monday evening. He was speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a function.
The Indian army had the knowledge of the deepening Chinese presence in Pakistan- administered Kashmir, especially after the 2005 quake, when many construction works were given to Chinese companies. New York Times had published a report of the presence of 15,000 Chinese troops in Pakistani-controlled Kashmir, including Gilgit and Baltistan.
Gen. Singh said the Indian army was trying to ascertain the motive of such heavy presence of Chinese troops and engineers in the territory under the control of Pakistan.
- Indian Army exploring entire gamut of future conflict scenarios - Mar 27, 2011
- Chinese troops in Pakistani Kashmir: Indian Army chief - Oct 05, 2011
- 30 militants in Jammu's border districts: Army - Mar 22, 2012
- India monitoring border developments for national security: Krishna - Apr 06, 2011
- India conveys concern to China over troops in Gilgit-Baltistan - Sep 03, 2010
- India conveys concern to China on Gilgit, Kashmir (Lead) - Sep 03, 2010
- 'India should reserve IIT, IIM seats for Pakistani Kashmiris' - May 10, 2011
- Govt. monitoring situation along PoK, Krishna assures BJP - Apr 07, 2011
- Manmohan off to China, Kazakhstan - Apr 11, 2011
- Chinese presence in Kashmir matter of serious concern: India - Aug 30, 2010
- China's changing Kashmir position can affect boundary resolution - Oct 13, 2010
- Army chief warns of terrorist designs - Aug 10, 2011
- Villagers threatened by dam cracks in Pakistan-administered Kashmir - Jan 09, 2012
- New Pakistani Kashmir president meets Kayani - Sep 06, 2011
- Manmohan off to China, Kazakhstan to meet world leaders (Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
Tags: army men, army officer, baltistan, border town, chinese companies, chinese presence, chinese troops, construction works, exact number, gilgit, h singh, india and pakistan, indian army, intelligence reports, jammu, kashmir, military engineers, new york times, peoples liberation army, sidelines