China has 49,000 centenarians: SurveyNovember 8th, 2011 - 8:34 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Nov 8 (IANS) China has around 49,000 people over 100 years of age, says a new survey.
The survey by the China Gerontological Society said that till July 1, the number of people over 100 years living on the Chinese mainland stood at 48,921, Xinhua reported.
This was an increase of 5,228 from last year’s figures.
Luo Meizhen, a 126-year-old woman from Guangxi Zhuang autonomous region, was the oldest person on the mainland.
With a combined age of 213, the oldest couple have been found in Guizhou province, said the survey.
The average life expectancy of Chinese people is 73.5 years.
- 125-year-old woman is oldest Chinese - Oct 17, 2010
- 125-year-old woman tops 'longest living Chinese' list - Oct 17, 2010
- 100,000 snowed in people evacuated in southwest China - Jan 12, 2011
- World's largest medicinal botanic garden in China - Dec 09, 2011
- Drought-hit 14 mn Chinese lack drinking water - Sep 08, 2011
- 11,000 hit by hand-foot-mouth disease in China - Mar 31, 2012
- 175 killed in China floods - Jun 20, 2011
- Chinese police bust drug ring - Jun 28, 2012
- Chinese police bust trafficking rings, rescue 89 infants - Jul 27, 2011
- Five generations of 81-member Chinese family living 'happily' under one roof! - Aug 01, 2009
- Typhoon Nesat kills three in China - Oct 02, 2011
- Two get death penalty for selling 46 infants - Sep 28, 2010
- China sentences three to death for killing tax official, family - Nov 11, 2011
- 14 missing after houses collapse in China - Jun 15, 2010
- 16,000 evacuated in China amid flooding fears - Jun 30, 2011