China expels Al Jazeera correspondentMay 8th, 2012 - 7:13 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 8 (IANS) China has expelled an American journalist working for Al Jazeera, a move that prompted the television network to shut its bureau in Beijing.
Al Jazeera closed its bureau in Beijing after Chinese authorities refused to renew its correspondent Melissa Chan’s press credentials and visa, or allow a replacement journalist, it said.
The Al Jazeera website said it has been requesting additional visas for correspondents for some time through the normal procedures but these have not been issued.
Referring to Melissa Chan, who has been Al Jazeera English’s China correspondent since 2007, it said that she filed nearly 400 reports during her five years in the country.
Washington Post said that Chan, a 31-year-old from California, left Beijing Monday on a flight to Los Angeles.
The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of China described it as “the most extreme example of a recent pattern of using journalist visas in an attempt to censor and intimidate foreign correspondents”.
Their statement said “foreign news organizations, not the Chinese government, have the right to choose who works for them in China, in line with international standards”.
It was China’s first expulsion of a foreign journalist in 14 years.
- China daily asks foreign media to behave - May 10, 2012
- Egypt shuts down Al Jazeera bureau in Cairo - Jan 30, 2011
- Beijing gives 721 foreigners resident permits - May 28, 2012
- China keen to avoid 'diplomacy issues' concerning India, Pakistan - Jun 24, 2012
- Chinese journalist detained in Pakistan - Sep 09, 2011
- China tightens grip on foreign reporters, warns not to 'topple ruling party' - Mar 07, 2011
- China pledges better services for foreign journalists - Jan 20, 2012
- Chinese Police impose new media restrictions to prevent Mid-East type unrest - Mar 02, 2011
- IANS Kashmiri journalist gets non-stapled China visa - Apr 11, 2011
- Google fails to meet China's deadline to apply for online mapping services - Mar 31, 2011
- Beijing considering limited visa-free stay - May 28, 2012
- Krishna expresses shock over attack on Egyptian journalists - Feb 04, 2011
- Ahead of BRICS summit, Krishna to visit China - Feb 03, 2012
- Show patience in resolving border issue, China advises India - Jun 27, 2012
- Libya's envoy to India resigns in protest - Feb 21, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,