China executes six drug dealersJune 27th, 2008 - 1:01 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, June 26 (Xinhua) China executed six drug traders Thursday, the International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking, following an approval by the apex court. The dealers convicted of illegally producing, trading and trafficking drugs in Yunnan, Henan provinces and Guangxi Zhuang autonomous region had been awarded death penalty by different regional courts. The sentences were approved by China’s apex court, the Supreme People’s Court.
Among the executed drug traffickers, Han Yongwan and Duan Biwu were found to have been involved in smuggling hundreds of kilograms of banned drugs at Chinese boarders with Myanmar since 2001.
Gao Guoliang and Li Yongwang were held by the police on the same charges from Henan province in 2005.
The other two, He Jianjun and Zhang Fuyou, had been arrested from Guangxi region.
Ni Shouming, spokesman of the Supreme People’s Court, said the highest court would firmly support the cracking down on drug dealing and would approve any verdicts of inferior courts which could provide enough evidence for death penalty.
- Chinese police bust drug ring - Jun 28, 2012
- Rare freshwater jellyfish found in China - Aug 27, 2011
- World's largest medicinal botanic garden in China - Dec 09, 2011
- Two get death penalty for selling 46 infants - Sep 28, 2010
- Man hacks three kids to death in China - Sep 21, 2012
- China executes South African woman for drug smuggling - Dec 12, 2011
- Chinese man who killed four policemen executed - Apr 26, 2011
- 16,000 evacuated in China amid flooding fears - Jun 30, 2011
- 14 missing after houses collapse in China - Jun 15, 2010
- Food poisoning fells 80 sick in China - Jul 10, 2012
- Chinese man who killed kids with rat poison executed - May 29, 2011
- China has 49,000 centenarians: Survey - Nov 08, 2011
- 3,600 crocodiles rescued in China - Jul 07, 2012
- China sentences three to death for killing tax official, family - Nov 11, 2011
- Chinese police bust trafficking rings, rescue 89 infants - Jul 27, 2011