China evacuates 500,000 people as tropical storm approachesSeptember 15th, 2008 - 12:58 pm ICT by IANS
Fuzhou (China), Sep 15 (Xinhua) Authorities Monday evacuated some 500,000 people in east China’s Zhejiang and Fujian provinces as tropical storm Sinlaku, which has weakened from a typhoon, approached. In Zhejiang, 30,000 fishing boats were recalled to harbour.
Heavy rains were reported in eastern and northern parts of Zhejiang and central and northern parts of Fujian.
Sinlaku, the 13th tropical storm of the year in China, made landfall in northeastern Taiwan Sunday injuring 13 people and disrupting power and water supplies.
Offices, businesses and and schools were closed in 21 counties and cities on the island Sunday.
- Typhoon Damrey slams China - Aug 03, 2012
- Over 850,000 evacuated due to China storms - Aug 05, 2012
- 1.3 mn evacuated as Muifa brushes past China (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Typhoon 'Megi' hits China, 270,000 evacuated - Oct 23, 2010
- Thousands evacuated in China as Muifa threat looms large (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- 200,000 evacuated in China in fear of typhoon - Aug 06, 2011
- Over 100,000 evacuated in China as storm approaches - Aug 08, 2011
- Over 150,000 Chinese evacuated as Typhoon Megi approaches - Oct 22, 2010
- Over 360,000 people evacuated in east China as storm nears (Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- Typhoon Morakot weakens, leaves trail of destruction in China - Aug 10, 2009
- Typhoon Muifa: China evacuates 206,000, issues red alert (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- 150,000 evacuated in China due to typhoon threat - Oct 21, 2010
- Typhoon Haikui affects 1 mn in China - Aug 09, 2012
- One killed, thousands flee as typhoon Morakot hits China (Lead) - Aug 09, 2009
- Typhoon Kalmaegi hits China, leaves 13 killed in Taiwan (Lead) - Jul 18, 2008