China concerned over trade protectionism: OfficialFebruary 16th, 2009 - 5:14 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Feb 16 (Xinhua) China was “deeply concerned” about trade protectionism, amid fears that such action would aggravate the economic downturn, an official said Monday.
Ministry of Commerce (MOC) spokesman Yao Jian told a press conference that China was “deeply concerned” over protectionism in some countries, which he didn’t identify.
“China is against any form of protectionism, and we propose cooperation and negotiation to solve all international trade issues,” Yao said.
The US Congress has approved a $787 billion stimulus plan that contains “Buy American” provisions, which limit the purchase of foreign iron, steel and manufactured goods for stimulus-funded infrastructure projects.
Yao also said China would give its full support to the World Trade Organisation (WTO) to restrain the spread of trade protectionism.
“The WTO’s plan on tracking member countries’ stimulus packages and the fulfilment of the measures is a good mechanism to restrain trade protectionism. It may urge member countries to commit to their free trading strategy,” he said.
- Extremely unreasonable for Russia to be excluded from WTO: China - Apr 14, 2011
- Doha round can't be allowed to collapse: Anand Sharma - Sep 05, 2011
- US drags India, China to WTO over subsidies - Oct 07, 2011
- Whole package for Doha round will not be passed: WTO chief - Mar 19, 2012
- China expresses opposition to US yuan bill - Oct 12, 2011
- China won't significantly cut rare earth exports next year - Nov 03, 2010
- China begins probe into dumping of US goods - Sep 15, 2009
- China won't practise trade protectionism: Minister - Feb 09, 2009
- China shuts down 829 websites, online stores selling fakes - Jul 15, 2011
- Mexico complains to China about unfair trade practices - Sep 30, 2011
- G20 pledges to support economic growth, free trade - Jun 20, 2012
- China vows protection of rare earth metals - Jul 25, 2012
- Former NBA star Yao Ming eyeing film business - Jan 31, 2012
- China concerned over India''s restrictions on its products - Feb 10, 2009
- Manufacturing zones planned in east, south (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012