China calls Paris’ honouring of Dalai Lama ‘act of provocation’April 22nd, 2008 - 8:22 pm ICT by admin
Beijing, April 22 (DPA) China Tuesday expressed it opposition to Paris city council’s awarding of honorary citizenship to the Dalai Lama, describing is as an act of “act of provocation.” “This act grossly interferes in China’s internal affairs and severely infringes on Sino-French relations, as well as the existing friendly relations between Beijing and Paris, in particular,” said Jiang Yu, foreign ministry spokesperson, at a press conference in Beijing.
Paris city council voted Monday to award honorary citizenship to the Dalai Lama.
“The Paris city council’s awarding … will be taken as another severe provocation to 1.3 billion Chinese people including Tibetans, and will further encourage the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan secessionists,” Jiang said.
Jiang said Tibet is an inalienable part of China, and a purely internal Chinese affair.
“China is strongly against any nation or individual using the Dalai Lama issue to interfere in China’s internal affairs,” she added.
Jiang also condemned a meeting of the US special envoy to Tibet, US Undersecretary of State Paula Dobriansky, with the Dalai Lama which took place at the north-eastern US University of Michigan Monday.
The US government official met with the Dalai “regardless of the Chinese firmly opposing the meeting” and “casually commented on Tibetan problems which belong to Chinese internal affairs,” she charged.
This “violates severely the basic rules of international relations,” she stressed.
The US should desist from “supporting and conniving” with the separatist activities of the “Dalai clique,” she said.
- China condemns French honor for Dalai Lama - Jun 10, 2009
- China's respect for freedom in Tibet deteriorated: US report - Jul 31, 2012
- Obama-Dalai Lama meet undermines US as major power: Chinese daily - Jul 18, 2011
- Don't hold Obama-Dalai Lama meeting: China - Jul 16, 2011
- World's most celebrated monk turns 75 Tuesday - Jul 04, 2010
- Dalai Lama's French 'honor' nothing more than political stunt: Chinese experts - Jun 09, 2009
- China warns US on exploiting Tibet issue - Jan 12, 2012
- China urges US to stop meddling on Tibet - Mar 29, 2012
- 'China should address Tibet issue' - Oct 25, 2011
- India, China battle it out over Buddhism (Comment) - Nov 27, 2011
- China summons US ambassador over Obama-Dalai Lama meeting (Lead) - Feb 19, 2010
- Two self-immolations in Tibet - Mar 05, 2012
- 'Dalai Lama deserves Bharat Ratna' - Jun 11, 2012
- Dalai Lama to address Hungarian parliament - Sep 18, 2010
- Chinese training Tibetan women to poison Dalai Lama? (Lead) - May 13, 2012