China, Britain in trade talks amid rights protestsFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 8:38 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 2 (IANS) The British government was braced Monday for more protests against China’s human rights record even as Prime Minister Gordon Brown told visiting Chinese premier Wen Jiabao he wanted to double British exports to China.After talks with Wen at Downing Street, Brown announced a new two-year programme to help British companies market their products in China, saying he wanted to increase British exports to China from $5 billion in 2008 to $10 billion in 2010.
Brown said a 400 billion pound fiscal stimulus announced by authorities in Beijing in November will create huge opportunities for British exports to China, particularly in the low-carbon technologies of the future.
Meanwhile, five men were arrested after pro-Tibet protesters clashed with police during demonstrations against Wen’s visit here Sunday.
Protesters, who tried to scale security barriers outside the Chinese embassy and surrounded Wen’s motorcade, overshadowed Chinese New Year celebrations in the West End of London.
Protesters braved sub-zero temperatures later to move to the Natural History Museum, where Wen later spoke at a dinner.
- Wen Jiabao visit: Delhi Police take five Tibetan protesters into custody - Dec 16, 2010
- China denied rivalry with India, drums up trade, $16 bn deals (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2010
- China, Britain discuss bilateral ties (Lead) - Nov 09, 2010
- China signs deal for 50 Airbus planes - Aug 30, 2012
- Tibetans end protests as Wen leaves - Dec 17, 2010
- Row over human rights threatens to overshadow David Cameron's China visit - Nov 09, 2010
- Chinese Premier calls on opposition leader Sushma Swaraj in Delhi - Dec 17, 2010
- China a huge opportunity for Britain: Cameron - Jun 27, 2011
- US vice president reaches China on official visit - Aug 18, 2011
- Chinese premier visits Nepal - Jan 14, 2012
- Chinese PM urges poverty reduction - May 27, 2012
- Indonesia, China reach $17 billion cooperation deals - Mar 24, 2012
- Wen Jiabao gets US award - Mar 03, 2012
- A blockbuster year in Indian diplomacy (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 28, 2010
- Canada to strengthen strategic ties with China - Jan 12, 2012