China accused of dividing Tibetans, IndiansApril 23rd, 2008 - 8:04 pm ICT by admin
Dharamsala, April 23 (IANS) The Tibetan government-in-exile in India Wednesday accused China of driving a wedge between Tibetan refugees and Indians, and also causing differences within the Tibetans’ own community. “China has planted a large number of spies within the Tibetan communities in and outside Tibet, who have been undertaking massive campaigns to drive a wedge in the community and also against the country where they (refugees) had sought refuge,” alleged the spokesman of the cabinet of the Tibetan government-in-exile that is not recognised by any country.
“By doing so, China hopes to destroy the unity of the Tibetan people and the effectiveness of their movement. So all Tibetans should exercise utmost caution,” the spokesman appealed.
“India in particular is the seat of our government-in-exile. So, we must be careful in seeing to it that our actions do not go against the laws of the respective host countries, or cause undue embarrassment and discomfort to the people living in these countries.”
Lauding the ongoing anti-China protests in Tibet and neighbouring provinces, the cabinet at its meeting said: “It shows that the Dalai Lama is right in his viewpoint that all Tibetans, including those living in the three traditional provinces of Tibet, should be brought under a single autonomous governance.”
Some 120,000 Tibetan refugees live in India.
- Situation in Tibet very worrying, says Switzerland - Nov 22, 2011
- Censor's decision to blur Tibet flag angers Tibetans - Nov 10, 2011
- Tibetan minister to launch awareness drive in Northeast - Mar 25, 2012
- Respect human rights, Tibetan exiles ask China - Dec 10, 2011
- Exiles to step on Tibetan soil brought to Himachal - Oct 25, 2011
- HIV spreading among Tibetans, says government-in-exile - Dec 01, 2011
- Resolve Tibet issue through dialogue, says PM-in-exile - Jan 26, 2012
- Unrest in Tibet: Exiles seeks global intervention - Feb 06, 2012
- US concerned over violence in Tibet - Jan 25, 2012
- Self-immolations in Tibet politically motivated: Lawmaker - May 16, 2012
- China warns US on exploiting Tibet issue - Jan 12, 2012
- Tibetans not seeking 'greater Tibet': Dalai Lama - Feb 13, 2011
- Tibetans urged not to celebrate New Year - Feb 20, 2012
- Restoring freedom of Tibetans top priority: Lobsang Sangay (Interview) - Aug 07, 2011
- Exiles celebrate Dalai Lama's birthday (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011