Children sing in praise of GandhiOctober 2nd, 2011 - 9:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 2 (IANS) Sounds of ‘Raghupati Raghav Raja Ram’ resonated in the air as animated children, mostly from slums and shelter homes, sang songs to pay homage to Mahatma Gandhi on his 142nd birth anniversary here Sunday.
The central lawns of Gandhi Smriti were the venue of the celebrations. Covered with green carpets, the lawns were surrounded by security personnel and TV cameras. Vivid floral decorations embellished the venue.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh with wife Gursharan Kaur, Vice President Hamid Ansari and scores of other luminaries including Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit paid floral tribute at ‘Martyr’s Column’, the spot where Gandhiji was gunned down Jan 30, 1948.
Around 300 children wearing white kurtas and Gandhi caps sang bhajans and devotional songs dedicated to the Father of the Nation.
Representatives of all major religions conducted an inter-faith prayer service followed by bhakti sangeet (devotional music) by classical singer Kumud Diwan.
The dignitaries arrived at 5 p.m. and sat on white mattresses in the centre.
- India pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi on Martyrs' Day (Lead) - Jan 30, 2010
- Commoner to leader, thousands pay homage to the Mahatma - Oct 02, 2011
- Delhi pays tribute to Mahatma Gandhi - Oct 02, 2010
- President, PM pay homage to Mahatma Gandhi (Lead) - Oct 02, 2010
- Gandhi Smriti all set for Martyr's Day events - Jan 29, 2011
- Indians, foreigners alike salute Gandhi - Jan 30, 2012
- From shelters and slums, they gather to sing for Gandhi - Sep 30, 2011
- Nation pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi on Martyrs' Day - Jan 30, 2011
- Nation pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi on his 141st birth anniversary - Oct 02, 2010
- Sonia's first appearance post surgery, visits Rajghat - Oct 02, 2011
- PM, vice president attend prayer meet at Gandhi Smriti - Jan 30, 2011
- A children's book that sheds light on Gandhi - Oct 02, 2011
- Braj haveli sangeet on verge of extinction - Feb 07, 2012
- In rain, sea of supporters follow Anna Hazare through Delhi - Aug 19, 2011
- Hazare calm yet determined in his fight - Apr 06, 2011
Tags: ansari, birth anniversary, chief minister, classical singer, devotional music, devotional songs, floral decorations, floral tribute, kumud, kurtas, mahatma gandhi, major religions, manmohan, manmohan singh, prayer service, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, raghupati raghav raja ram, smriti, tv cameras